Author Topic: Sharing is caring...  (Read 14057 times)

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
Sharing is caring...
« on: September 17, 2014, 01:44:14 PM »
With most of the sport boat fleet going north to US waters we went south to Mexican waters. Paddies were abundant and large at the south 9, but mostly empty. If they were holding fish, it was 2-5lbs yellows.  So, we hauled butt to the 302 and saw way too many shearwaters, several whales and turtles, but little else. Paddies were limited too. Did I mention way too many shearwaters?!! They went after every single bait!! We had to leave several paddies because of them.

At 23 miles we can see a few boats shut down around a BIG paddy and a few anglers hooked up. Time to join the party. We set up down swell of the boats and started a chum line, chunked bait and an occassional live one was tossed out. 5 minutes passed and the captain is hooked up! I always prefer the cappy to get hooked up first, being it's his boat and all ;) A cute little yellowfin comes over the rail, followed by me and our 3rd crew member Jeff. Sweet, the skunk is off, everybody can relax now. Average size was 10-15lbs with the biggest being about 25lbs. I'll post pics up of the yellowfin and the customary bendo shot in a little while, but I do have a fewpics of the jackpot fished caught by the guy complaining the whole trip that he was seasick... go figure!

The biggest dodo I've seen in person! Such a beautiful fish. My search continues for my own dodo. We ended up with 13 yellowfin tuna, 4 micro yelllowtail and a PB dorado. All on sardines and light line. Nothing over 25lbs test with me fishing the lightest at 15lbs on a little Penn SpinfisherV 3000.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: Sharing is caring...
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 04:13:54 PM »
Last time I went out and saw lots of shearwaters, they were basically surrounded by tuna. Bait would be a challenge, but jigs could have worked. They didn't for us at the time though.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 07:45:56 PM »
Damn Mike... that is some good fishing despite the huge numbers of shearwaters.  Besides, that is a TOAD Mahi! 

Congrats and well done!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 09:04:38 PM »
Jeff was too tired to hold his dodo properly and give it justice... so... I did it for him:

Also, here's a look at a paddy with a "small" amount of shearwaters:

Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 10:14:34 PM »
Nice job out there. Man I haven't seen Anthony in a while. Hope he's doing well.

Congrats!

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2014, 11:24:01 PM »
Nice job out there. Man I haven't seen Anthony in a while. Hope he's doing well.

Congrats!

He's doing good! He and his girlfriend just had a baby girl and moved over by the golf course.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2014, 08:48:16 PM »

Congrats!

He's doing good! He and his girlfriend just had a baby girl and moved over by the golf course.

Right on!!

Is Roman still playing football??

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2014, 11:12:44 PM »

Congrats!

Right on!!

Is Roman still playing football??

Yup! He's a big boy!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)