Author Topic: New PB Surf Halibut 10/4  (Read 3935 times)

Fish Jerk

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
New PB Surf Halibut 10/4
« on: October 04, 2015, 08:21:50 PM »
Made plans to hit the beach with my buddy Sean. Not sure what we were gonna run into as the forecast was for 50% chance of rain and it was drizzling when I picked him up. The day turned out great, stayed overcast till around 9-10, no rain, low surf and slack tide coming.Overall we had some great conditions today.

We picked up some of the usual suspects: mac, bone, pancakes and calicos, Sean picked up a Juvie WSB & I scored my  second Legal halibut and new PB, all 35.5 inches of Fatty Flatty.

I got a big hit while working a spot Sean had said to hit while he went back to rework another spot.  First cast, picked up a micro bone at 8-10 in that I decided to keep for bait.  2nd cast, 1/2 way in, BANG, zzzz zzzz zzzz. I could tell it was a big fish, but didn't know just how big. Originally, I was thinking either a nice legal hali or a big Calico by the way it was fighting. Heavy strong fish, head shakes and stayed deep. After a  couple good runs, as the fish got into the surf zone, it did a somersault and I caught a glimpse of the huge white belly and tail, I was like, "Holy S**t, big Hali!. I knew then that I wanted a landing assist with this one, so I bellowed for Sean who was 200yds down the beach and frantically waved him to get his rear over to me. Once Sean arrives and I get the beast into the shallows, it took 3-4 tries to get her far enough up the beach for Sean to get a good tail grab and finish pushing her up the sand.  We took some pics and back in the water she goes.  I big tail slap to say goodbye and off she goes strong as can be.

Epic day on the sand and thanks for reading.

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Re: New PB Surf Halibut 10/4
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 09:17:55 PM »
Are you kidding me!
Beautiful Hali Ron, congrats!!

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 07:33:50 AM »
Well, DAMN!  Beautiful fish Boss!  Juvie WSB also, as well as bonies...  great session.

Bravo on the CPR!  I'm not sure if I would have had the will power, but you deserve mad props.   8)
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

j.rasta

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 08:18:15 AM »
Nice phlat phatty brah! Congrats on the new PB!

X2 on the cpr kudos! Them Hali tacos are too good to let swim away!

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 08:47:51 AM »
That's a great catch.

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 10:10:44 AM »
So that's where my skim board went.

Castmaster

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2015, 04:42:57 PM »
Nice one! 

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2015, 08:00:26 AM »
Stellar my man, can't say enough about the release........................many karma points earned
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect