Author Topic: Spring is Springing 4/21  (Read 70 times)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
Spring is Springing 4/21
« on: April 21, 2024, 02:22:51 PM »
Launched 0700. Wanted to scout for threshers and plan B look for bass.

Headed to the LB break wall first. So much bait, birds, and mammals for miles. Water temps swinging wildly between 57-61. High tide 0900 had me excited cuz I got my first last year on the same tide.

Set up shop around 0730. Realized my frozen mackerel were pretty old and mushy at this point. Didn't bring a lighter spinning rod or sabiki, but casted a 1oz crank on my jigstick into the bait while I had the mackerel on a float. No luck on either. Reset in a few different spots with no sign of fish before I bailed at peak high tide to try bass.

Hopping my way toward the HB flat, a couple spots that usually produce were dead. Then I got some dead weight as I was reeling up from one. Short halibut maybe? Finally? Nope. Second mantis shrimp this spring. How do I have 2 mantis shrimp to 0 halibut after over a year of bounce balling? Very silly.

Got over to my honey hole where I should easily break a skunk. Downsized my offering and popped a short sandie. 10am and the wind was already making some chop, gonna be a long ride home...

Another sandie, then a calico in the mix.

Saw a guy in a 35'ish sportfisher bendo on something, following it around for a good 15 minutes at least. Thresher, maybe BSB. Didn't keep up with him. Did mark something big and lonely.

Fished til 1100 with nothing more to show. Short period had built up over the hour and it was a sh!tty ride home. Much less bait in shallow but still plenty of dolphins cruising every which way. If the conditions hold up I'll have a better game plan for the Ts next Sunday.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Re: Spring is Springing 4/21
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2024, 05:11:57 PM »
BTW, if you find the Sea Pens, you'll find the halibut.  That was the greatest mystery I had for about 15 years or more.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2024, 05:13:59 PM »
Also... That looks like a fish rising to take the bait... or possibly your lure...

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2024, 05:56:51 AM »
Very cool indeed Jeremy, I really want to take our boat out.  Only problem is they'd need a crane to get me out of it, this knee thing sucks
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2024, 05:58:12 AM »
this knee thing sucks

I was wondering how it was going.  Man Verne, I hope you heal up quickly.  Keep us posted.

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2024, 07:59:00 AM »
 Lots of bait and birds crashing in the water in Point Loma as well, it was crazy as I thought for sure The Cyclops was going to get SH!T on big time !

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2024, 02:59:24 PM »
Speaking of birds, also forgot to mention the huge presence of terns at the wall. Don’t really see very many inshore at all. And the By The Wind Sailors were starting to come in last week but they were really invading this weekend. Hopefully pelagics aren’t too far behind now.

How do you find Sea Pens Tom? I’m this close to buying an inline underwater cam, hoping for the one I want to come down in price on eBay first.

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2024, 05:31:42 PM »
First one of those I've seen taken on a hardbait, nice!

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2024, 05:10:15 PM »
Speaking of birds, also forgot to mention the huge presence of terns at the wall. Don’t really see very many inshore at all. And the By The Wind Sailors were starting to come in last week but they were really invading this weekend. Hopefully pelagics aren’t too far behind now.

How do you find Sea Pens Tom? I’m this close to buying an inline underwater cam, hoping for the one I want to come down in price on eBay first.

Spoke it into existence this time. I was watching for the GoFish cam which is waterproof to 300' and has a live feed to your phone. Those are discontinued but on ebay for around $350-400 out the door.

I was contemplating the Aqua Vu Strike Vu inline camera at $100 but only waterproof to 100' and no live feed. Got a 20% off offer and I took it. 90% of what I wanna see is in less than 100' anyway, and the company is still in business if I have issues.

I've seen some underwater footage of local reefs like Izor's, NAR, and the break wall, but there are a lot more spots I wanna see, line it up with FF readings, and run a swimbait behind it to see how many followers I get and how many fish are actually reacting. And how many halibut I am actually getting in front of! Would be funny to see one clip after another of big butts following then yet another short sandie swoops in and steals the show.