Author Topic: Soup's On Squatch (9/23)  (Read 6649 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Soup's On Squatch (9/23)
« on: September 24, 2014, 04:05:39 PM »
Well, another Tuesday was upon us and we made the north 5 commute to a shark spot.  Conditions looked good, but there was still more people in the water than we would have liked, so we waited it out until it cleared enough to fish.

I was first on the board with a daylight moray eel.  Thankfully, I shook the bastard off without having to give him a wood shampoo.

Steve and I had some bites, but it was generally pretty slow.  I then get a big hit when I was attaching my light stick, but by the time I got the rod in my gut to fight it, it sheared me off on something.  My knot to the shock leader was all good, but my 60# leader got sliced like butter.  Steve was immediately bit also and wound up beaching this beautiful 6' Soupfin!
We got some new Batson Hats from my buddy Karry, so we paid our respects for the kind gesture.

The bite continued to get hot when I thought I had a small soupfin just to find a big old fat humpback leopard at the end instead!

Then Steve had an eel or something hang him up.  He was trying to get it loose on some overhand pulls and his line just snapped leaving about 30 yards of his line out to sea!  So Weird... but I helped by snagging his line and a lobster a few casts later.

Then Steve was on again!  Another definite Soupfin!  They are tough fuggers for sure.
After a 10 minute battle, I thought Steve was close to landing him and then my rod goes off!  Double header!  Sort of...

I yelled, "My line is going right!"... Steve replied "So is mine!"... and so on...

Once again we did the impossible.  There were no tangles in our line, but somehow I stuck him in his tail and Steve stuck him in his mouth.  I only get the assist, but Steve came away with another beautiful 6 footer!

My hook job in the tail...

I made a camera sand spike and get some killer shots of us and the shark.

Steve had to call it quits and I hung around to try and get another chance at a grinner.  I was hoping to catch a Seven-gill shark to make the surf slam, but things were quiet.  About 35 minutes after Steve left, I decided to call it quits and started packing.  ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ, no doubt I got lucky and hooked another soupfin!  It was an awesome fight and I think they may be the best fighters in the surf.  they got it all, jumps... lightning fast runs.... just plain fun.

I felt him rolling up in my line a bit, but I had new shock leader on and was feeling pretty comfortable... Then a big roll and a big thrust of his tail and SNAP!  GONE! Ugh... >:(

the shock leader was frayed for 14 feet and I had about 18 feet of the 24 feet left of it.  It was all sanded and mangled.  I packed up and called it the night as it was getting late and I had to get up really early for work.

I usually use 80#, but ran out earlier this year and turned to using 60# since that is what I had available at the time. All of the big rays I've been getting on the 60 gave me a false confidence that it would hold to a big surf shark, but now I have first hand experience that it won't and not just someone telling me it won't. I'll be going back to 80# for my future trips...  What a hard lesson to learn!  :-[
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: Soup's On Squatch (9/23)
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 05:16:22 PM »
Man it was slow there for a while. The company was good and the view was terrific as well.

It sucks you lost those fish, and more rigs, but I'm glad you at least got one to the shore.

Needless to say, I was very pleased with my catches, even though you get partial credit on the tail hook.

I couldn't think of a more suitable way to thank Karry for his generous gift. Straight out good dude.

Guess I better spool up and get ready for next time.

raychavez91

• Leopard
  • moderator's look up to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 06:27:15 PM »
Man I always look forward to these reports! Great job guys, I gotta make the drive down south 1 of these days, only seen 2 grinners up here in la county this year, not by me lol

j.rasta

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 08:27:29 PM »
Epicness Squatch! As usual u guys make it look waaaaay to easy;) Tommy not having gear up to par is a 1st, I can almost guarantee that won't happen again! Nice work on the saddle bag, I'd take that any day of any week.... Nice work again guys! Steve-O definitely deserves a night like last night after last Tuesdays debacle B)

huck

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 08:52:43 PM »
That is awesome. I really need to get out there with you guys. Let me know if you have room for one more, I'd drive out for a chance at one of those.

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2014, 07:21:20 AM »
Pretty cool session, the sand spike is a good camera man 8) What is the average weight of those soups ?

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2014, 02:06:10 PM »
Sweet sesh guys!!!! Still looking for my 1st legit grinner.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Sticks

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2014, 04:02:57 PM »
Nice session good looking soupfin Steve!

MASSfisher

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2014, 08:54:46 PM »
Man this is making me want to drop my spotty gear and target some bigger stuff.

Way to go guys!! Epic!!