Author Topic: Meth, Bum Camps, Mexican Gangs and Fossils  (Read 4059 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Meth, Bum Camps, Mexican Gangs and Fossils
« on: November 08, 2015, 05:51:24 PM »
What a morning!  Went on a fossil hunt with Kevin this morning for a quick session looking for sharkteeth.  Spot one was full of bone fragments...

Along with some bigger material.

Kevin even found a nice section of cetacean rib with possible shark teeth impressions in it.  Definitely happened prior to fossilization, so most likely a scavenged rib.

We went to a second spot that I have not been to in over a decade... and I now remember why.  Mexican Gangland... Yikes!

I did learn something new as Kevin's Scattervision found fossil bone in an area of conglomerate that I never believed had any fossil material in it.  It was definitely eye opening as Kevin even found a partial whale skull, but the preservation was bad and too hard to get to.

We found a dozen bum camps and meth areas that were really shady.  Here Kevin checks out an underground cavern that had a 35' "Living Space" full of all the amenities of a full time occupant.

Dude is brave!  I wanted nothing to do with it as I thought a dragon might reach his head out and eat him!  LOL

Ran into tweakers all tripped out and all sorts of weird people in the middle of nowhere.  Got stared down by a dozen dudes as we were leaving as we were not welcomed apparently, but survived.  LOL 
I'm scratching this locale off my fossil list! LOL

Fun times though!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
Re: Meth, Bum Camps, Mexican Gangs and Fossils
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 06:43:50 PM »
Sounds like my uncle's place in San Ysidro except the bones are from decades of adobo scraps fed to the dog and exhumed from under the rose bushes.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 08:52:12 PM »
Sounds like my uncle's place in San Ysidro except the bones are from decades of adobo scraps fed to the dog and exhumed from under the rose bushes.
Yep, it looked like it opened up into Mex. Lol
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

raychavez91

• Leopard
  • moderator's look up to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 12:22:19 AM »
Freakin knarly dude

LONGCAST JOE

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2015, 01:53:32 AM »
Cool stuff...I enjoy local fossil hunting as a pastime also, a self learned/studied amateur paleo, haha. I have a small collection of locally found Miocene era marine invertebrates, mostly bi-valves from the "Topanga quarry"(Just childs play for a vertebrae aficionado as yourself, I know) I find fossil hunting/collecting and fishing to have many similarities as far the overall human experience and satisfaction, from the quest to the find/catch and other aspects involved with each. Good stuff... :P
JOE

TheCraftsman

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2015, 08:34:53 AM »
We're you fossil hunting in TJ!? Lol
Crazy what a difference a trained eye makes.. I would've walked right by without even noticing!
There's more than one way.. To microwave a cat!

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2015, 09:47:27 AM »
I'll stick to fishing.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)