Author Topic: Kayaking Dana Point - 12/4  (Read 6584 times)

Dave Legacy

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
Kayaking Dana Point - 12/4
« on: December 05, 2015, 10:26:58 PM »
Sup all,

A couple weeks ago I get a text from SCSF's own Reiner inviting me to come kayaking with he and his friend Steve. Having only had my kayak for a few months, and having not yet done any real fishing from it, I was eager for a chance to get some experience. Up until this point I had only been out a handful of time and it was mostly just to get comfortable on a new battlefield.

There was a bit of swell on the forecast and this was going to be my first time really getting outside of the harbor and onto the big water. Some of you may recall that I suffer from seasickness in a violent fashion, but I wasn't going to let this get in the way of trying to get back out on the water. What gave me pause is when I learned we'd be meeting at 0600... :lol:

The day came and when we got out beyond the wall the conditions weren't as bad as I had expected, but the swell was present and difficult for me to ignore. I was chewing on crystalized ginger and tried to focus on "driving" myself to our destination. We were headed out to the kelp near the point and the paddle out, albeit intimidating to a rookie, was quite nice. We stopped out at spot that had some lobster trap buoys indicating structure and did a little fishing.

I began casting a 5" Mutant M5 Swimbait (in Black/Purple) and got a little short bite on the first cast. I was totally taken by surprise, because I rarely get action so quickly. Two casts later I get hit hard and bring my very first kayak-caught fish aboard:

I return my catch to the water, exchange a couple words with Reiner, and start heaving! Oh well. I stuck around long enough to make a few more half hearted casts, and watch Reiner catch a calico, then split apart from the guys to make the long paddle back to the safe haven of the harbor while I was still able-bodied; It took 40 minutes, but I got back safely. I dropped anchor near the jetty and had a light snack while watching the Garibaldi defend their hideouts. After about half an hour I had overcome the seasickness and was ready to fool around in the harbor. That is when I saw Reiner and Steve come back to the harbor mouth and realize they weren't bobbing up and down. The swell had subsided, so I paddled out to join them for one more round.

Reiner in the foreground with Steve in the background

Glad I did, because I managed to catch another calico. This time I used a dropper and squid strip:

Reiner caught a mackerel, a pretty big sandbass, and another calico to finish off his day; 4 fish on 3 different lures if I remember correctly. Off the water by 1300. It was a great day! Big thanks to Reiner and Steve for inviting me to join. 8)

Best regards,

Dave

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
Re: Kayaking Dana Point - 12/4
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2015, 07:22:06 PM »
Nice going Dave! If motion sickness hits you on a big boat, kayak fishing is gonna get you for sure. At least you gave it a go.  ;)
2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 10:33:29 PM »
Right on Dave. Nice getting out at least and catching a nice one.

I don't get seasick much, but I've had a few trips back in Hawaii in really big seas where it got me good. Found that I responded well to the patch (behind the ear), but that doesn't work for everyone. Give it a try though. Need to put it on the day before you go out. Nothing much you can do once you're green  :P :-X :-\ :-\ :o except chum ....

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2015, 05:31:47 AM »
Congrats Dave!  That is a great bass to break the ice on and props for toughing it out. 
I apologize if you mentioned this before and/or I forgot, but do you not use the patch or pill?  You said you were chewing on crystalized ginger, so was just curious.

In any case, props for heading back out and getting another!  Well done indeed!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Dave Legacy

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2015, 05:54:30 AM »
Congrats Dave!  That is a great bass to break the ice on and props for toughing it out. 
I apologize if you mentioned this before and/or I forgot, but do you not use the patch or pill?  You said you were chewing on crystalized ginger, so was just curious.

In any case, props for heading back out and getting another!  Well done indeed!

On this last outing I took a Bonine pill at the launch, which I suppose was too late. The time I got super seasick on a charter earlier this year I was using a scolpamine patch that I applied a couple hours before departure. What I'm gathering is that I probably don't take the meds far enough in advance. I had been fearful of having to drive with blurry vision or while drowsy, but I really didn't experience much of it.

The ginger is becoming almost a supersitious thing now to try to psych myself up. I can't tell for certain if it truly helps me or not, but it makes my puke taste like ginger. ;)

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2015, 08:17:16 AM »
Yeah the patch is at least the day prior. We used to put in on around dinner, knowing big seas ahead in the AM.

Won't make you drowsy - give a try again sometime.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2015, 08:59:18 AM »
Bonine is the only one I use, but I try to take it at least an or more before I hit the water. It's been a while since I've gotten seasick, but I clearly remember how sh!tty it feels!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

faster u fool

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2015, 01:57:32 PM »
very nice...
GET OUT AND GET BIT..

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2015, 04:00:57 PM »
Drift some macs next time

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2015, 04:42:12 PM »
Or a flat fall a couple miles offshore.

TheCraftsman

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2015, 06:33:23 PM »

Who the f kayaks a couple miles off shore, f that! If the fish(sharks) are possibly bigger than your boat than its not my idea fun.
There's more than one way.. To microwave a cat!

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2015, 07:30:44 PM »

If the fish(sharks) are possibly bigger than your boat than its not my idea fun.

Cuz your a puss :P :P ;) :)

Dave Legacy

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2015, 09:09:27 PM »
Well I won't be drifting any live macks until I get a bait tank. I'm thinking I'll just put together a small bait tube to allow me to carry a few macks for the meantime, but it's not high on my priority list. My in-laws got me a fish finder for the holidays, so I'll be focusing on getting that up and running (a real pain in the ass on my tandem). I feel like having a fish finder is more important than keeping bait alive since I'm plenty content fishing with jigs and plastics for now.