Author Topic: Night time long rod sesh... Interested?  (Read 18891 times)

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
Night time long rod sesh... Interested?
« on: September 30, 2014, 11:29:17 PM »
 My normal fishing buddy is on lockdown this week. I want to soak a bait this Thursday night looking for the toothy kind, anyone interested?
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Re: Night time long rod sesh... Interested?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 06:25:37 AM »
Hey Mike.  I'm heading out hooping on Thusday night so I'm out.  Hopefully those weeds get blown offshore from the Santa Anas as the kelp was horrific yesterday all up and down the coast... well at least all of the beaches I was trying.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

MASSfisher

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 06:52:30 AM »
Dang I'd love to go out but already have plans for Thursday (fishing plans) followed by plans with the girlfriend (no getting out of that).

I've tried long rodding in the surf a few times with no luck. Strong current and kelp made it tough.

What kind of gear does one need for this type of fishing? I have a saltist 40 on an 8'9" jig stick (25-50#).

What kind of gear is everyone else running for this type of fishing (I know my stuff is on the light side).

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 08:40:09 AM »
Dang I'd love to go out but already have plans for Thursday (fishing plans) followed by plans with the girlfriend (no getting out of that).

I've tried long rodding in the surf a few times with no luck. Strong current and kelp made it tough.

What kind of gear does one need for this type of fishing? I have a saltist 40 on an 8'9" jig stick (25-50#).

What kind of gear is everyone else running for this type of fishing (I know my stuff is on the light side).

Your rod and reel is perfect for long rodding. I use a Calstar 90J and Saltist BG30 (narrow version) loaded with 65# spectra and 100 yards of 40# top shot. Not sure what your terminal tackle consists of, but I use 175# steel leader, 80# mono shock leader, 6oz sputniks and 10/0 hooks.

I went out last week and managed leo just under 40". Nothing to brag about, but it was a skunk buster. I've had more skunks than success as of late, but I'm putting time on the sand! I'll get the right kind soon!!

Hit me up if you ever want to go. I'm more of a nocturnal angler by the way.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

MASSfisher

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 09:53:57 AM »

Your rod and reel is perfect for long rodding. I use a Calstar 90J and Saltist BG30 (narrow version) loaded with 65# spectra and 100 yards of 40# top shot. Not sure what your terminal tackle consists of, but I use 175# steel leader, 80# mono shock leader, 6oz sputniks and 10/0 hooks.

I went out last week and managed leo just under 40". Nothing to brag about, but it was a skunk buster. I've had more skunks than success as of late, but I'm putting time on the sand! I'll get the right kind soon!!

I'll definitely hit you up...maybe next week sometime. I need to go online and buy some sputniks....unless they have them locally? Also, how far out are you casting? In the bay I just run straight mono to an 7/0-8/0 hook with a weight right above it. Don't get how you can cast with a shock leader + steel.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 10:46:36 AM »

I'll definitely hit you up...maybe next week sometime. I need to go online and buy some sputniks....unless they have them locally? Also, how far out are you casting? In the bay I just run straight mono to an 7/0-8/0 hook with a weight right above it. Don't get how you can cast with a shock leader + steel.

I usually run a 3way swivel, so it's basically a dropper loop. Total length ffrom the sinker to my mainline is about 3-3.5' long to make casting more manageable and not have knots or swivels go through the guides. I cast as far as I can without losing my bait.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 10:47:20 AM »
I strongly recommend e-bay seller klammer42 for sputniks. Good dude, member here, great product, amazing service.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2014, 10:48:57 AM »
I strongly recommend e-bay seller klammer42 for sputniks. Good dude, member here, great product, amazing service.

That's where I get mine! Can't recommend him enough.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2014, 12:31:06 PM »

That's where I get mine! Can't recommend him enough.

Only place I get mine also.  Great dude and unbelievable service.    8)
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

MASSfisher

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2014, 07:18:59 PM »
Cool guys. I'll get some sputniks from him then and will by some other things to target the bigger critters. Hope I can get out there and be cool like you guys.  8)

jlwells

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2014, 04:50:27 PM »
I'm in the same boat. I am heading out tonight and have no one to help wrangle toothy critters. Anyone looking to soak tonight?

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2014, 05:21:17 PM »
How long do you plan on staying out?
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

jlwells

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2014, 05:30:21 PM »
Headed out right now....tide bottoms out at midnight.....so it depends on salad and the bite.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2014, 05:33:00 PM »
Soup kitchen?
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

jlwells

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2014, 05:35:40 PM »
Yes sir