Author Topic: Lake Jennings Slug (1/9)  (Read 3856 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Lake Jennings Slug (1/9)
« on: January 09, 2016, 03:35:45 PM »
Well, it's been a "Not-Too Shabby" start to 2016.  The surf and seas are trashed from big swells, so it was a perfect time to get out and do a little trout wishin.

Steve met me at my pad and we hooked up the Boma.  We got to Jennings to give her a good fresh wter soaking to get any salt out of the engine ...and hull also.   ;D

We headed over to the Go-To Cactus Patch and set up.  Great sky and confidence was high!

Saw a few hours roll by without even a bite.  There was a little girl on shore catch a few nice trout with her dad and the boat right next to us got one also so we knew they were there.  Occasionally I would meter one here or there on the finder and I finally just tossed a tube jig out and got an instant bendo.  Not much of a fish, but it meant I wasn't skunked!

Steve started to fish multiple rods at once. 

We weren't even getting a sniff after that trout so we decided to do a little trolling.  I set up with a trolling sinker on the 4lb and a small Yozuri in tow.  We were trolling the lake for not a hit when we hit the abyss.

Just then my rod goes off and I get trout number 2!  Not too shabby, but he was in wide open water.  As we were ready to quit, we saw someone catch a really nice trout, so we decided to troll the area.  I see a huge fish on the fish finder and a few seconds later get SLAMMED on the troll!  I wasn't sure I was going to land him as he straightened ALL 6 POINTS OUT!  Steve thankfully got the net around this Jennings slob!  I was stoked!

We started trolling more and Steve gets HAMMERED!  It looks like we found the spot!
Unfortunately, Steve farmed his.

Steve gets slammed 4 more times in the upcoming trolls and should have had his limit of trout but somehow the hooks only turned to rubber when in the water.  I get another nice trout and lose one before we finally call it quits.  It started off bad, but the bite was damn good in the end!

When we got back the the ramp, we were greeted by Fish and Game.  First time I ever saw them there or any local lake for that matter checking licenses.  Make sure you are legit as they are out there checking!

Well, it was a fine day and a fine trout to start off 2016.  Steve and I should have had limits, but it is what it is.

Tight lines!

You can't catch them from your computer chair.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: Lake Jennings Slug (1/9)
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2016, 04:59:11 PM »
It was a great, but somewhat frustrating, day on the lake. Never thought it was possible to farm so many fish on the troll.

Congrats on your nice fish and good luck tomorrow.

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2016, 05:36:52 PM »
Nice goin  8)

I miss trout fishing

Big one looks to be between 3 & 4 lbs.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2016, 06:00:06 PM »
Nice goin  8)

I miss trout fishing

Lol, 6.25 lbs weighed with Steve there to verify.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 08:45:45 PM by Latimeria »
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2016, 06:20:18 PM »
Nice goin  8)

I miss trout fishing

Lol, over 6lbs weighed with Steve there to verify.
. Wow, my eyes are not cooperating with me today. Hell of a catch on 4lb.

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2016, 08:25:09 AM »
Nice fish Tom. Enjoy the good eats!!

8) 8)