Author Topic: Virginia Beach Visitor (10/16)  (Read 3934 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Virginia Beach Visitor (10/16)
« on: October 17, 2014, 06:35:14 AM »
A friend came out to SD for a 2-week work project.  He's a big fishermen back east and definitely wanted to get a few shots at some of the west coast species.

Goal number one was to fish the beach for leopard sharks.. Unfortunately, the entire drive up and down the coast had big sets and lots of mixed up grass in the surf which made soaking a long rod pretty unfishable. 

I hurt my back the other day helping my daughter move, so I had limited mobility and needed to set up where I wouldn't tax my back and ended up at the bay with easy accessible parking.  Things looked promising, but it was a pretty slow night in general.

Andrew got on the board with a whopper horn shark at first.  I'm pretty damn sure this is the biggest one I've seen, but I've also got some big ones in Catalina...  I still think this is the biggest one though...

Great teeth and horns shots too...

Shark number two on the board.  He laughed when we yelled, "sh!t Shark!"  At least it was a decent one.

The night continued with a lot of head shakers and small bites.  Andy got one of them, but it was not much of a fight on the 12' long rods.

Oh well, there is still some time to get him on a leopard and I can't believe we didn't have a single bat ray hit...

Oh well, the weekend is here and time to get the boat out!

Tight lines everyone!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

MASSfisher

• Leopard
    • View Profile
Re: Virginia Beach Visitor (10/16)
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 08:22:18 AM »
That's definitely the biggest horn shark I've ever seen.

Way to go Tom!

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: Virginia Beach Visitor (10/16)
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2014, 07:22:50 AM »
 Hopefully you get him on some nice fish tomorrow. I look forward to fishing with Andrew next week.