Author Topic: Redemption 2/13  (Read 3580 times)

Fish Jerk

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
Redemption 2/13
« on: February 14, 2016, 11:09:31 AM »
Well, after getting bit off last week by a large shark, I was itchin for round 2.
Hit up the same spot running solo. I was determined to go big or go home, so no squish.
Brought a couple Bones and some new bait I found at the local asian market (Baby Mullet - 4-5 in.)

Fished from 6-10pm. First up was a nice 53" Leo to get the heart pumping. Thanks go out to nice Young couple who wandered by just as the clicker screamed for taking this Pic.

Being already 1/2 way thru to quitting time and the tide now starting to come in good, I decided to put the head, I had been saving on. This was a good size head about 6-7 oz. Zingged that puppy out there to soak.  After about 1/2 an hour, I notice a slightly different rhythm to the pulses on my rod tip. Looks like something playing with the bait.  I walk over to get a better look, 2-3 clicks as a little line slips. I keep watching as it looks a little like weed buildup as well. 3 more clicks.  I pick up the rod to get a feel for whats going on and feel a couple 1/2 hearted tugs. Just as I am getting ready to pop the sputnic to check the line, a very slow click, click, click, click as line is slowly released. For every increase in the drag as I tighten down, there is similar increase in the speed that the line leaves the spool. It wasn't until I hit full drag that she hit the afterburners and proceeded to take 150yds of line. She pretty much burned herself out in the first run though.

I finally get her to the surf, and the real battle begins. Bringing in big bats in the surf solo really sucks. But got her in and safely released, big fat and preggo. Taped at 47", but could not get a tape pic solo.

That was it for the night, kinda glad though as I was pretty beat by that Bat and wasn't sure I wanted to deal with another one.

Thanks for reading.
Ron

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
Re: Redemption 2/13
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 11:28:08 AM »
Looking good my man, we'll do it next week. Taking my granddaughter light rodding in the morning  :D
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2016, 12:04:57 PM »
Right on Ron! Nice redemption fish!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

LONGCAST JOE

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2016, 12:46:42 PM »
Well Ron, I was thinking about hitting that spot tonight even before I read this, just because it fishes well when the surf is up a bit compared to other local spots and I need my own redemption there as well...

Baby mullet huh? We must think similiar because guess what I picked up yesterday from DeSoto & Roscoe..Damn  they have a thick skull. .
.I've been wondering how a mullet chunk would do soaked nearby to the place, that you probably know of, that is full of them year round, and you can see them jumping. They're nearly impossible to catch on rod and reel though. Ive tried many times years ago with various tactics. including flyfishing for them with hand-tied#18 bread crumb and #20 moss patterns, lol
JOE

Fish Jerk

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2016, 12:55:24 PM »
Pm'd you Joe

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2016, 02:55:24 PM »
Nice going Ron!

xpoc

• Shovelnose
  • Amat Victoria Curam
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2016, 04:59:05 PM »
Nice sesh! I bet that bat pulled like a tractor! 8)
BAT FIGHT!!! SD4TH3W1N 2016

raychavez91

• Leopard
  • moderator's look up to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2016, 06:18:49 PM »
Great job Ron, good seeing you on the water and getting good size sharays to boot!

Fish Jerk

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2016, 06:32:51 PM »
Great job Ron, good seeing you on the water and getting good size sharays to boot!

Thanks Ray, But I've been on the water every fishable weekend since the new year, just hadn't caught a thing worth mentioning. Hopefully this is a sign that the Preggo bats are starting to show up in the surf here. Although landing this one solo did me in. I was originally gonna fish Sunday too, changed my plans. I had more of a fight once I had the shock leader in hand than with the rod.

raychavez91

• Leopard
  • moderator's look up to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2016, 07:47:39 PM »
Solo landing is what beats you up the most for sure. After a few I'm generally good for the night and content to watch lol

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2016, 09:53:23 PM »
It's really heating up!!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Eric H

• Soupfin