Author Topic: One Shark Short 10/14/2014  (Read 4888 times)

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
One Shark Short 10/14/2014
« on: October 14, 2014, 09:46:35 PM »
 A little change up on the usual Tuesday fishing. Tom had some things to take care of that some way some how had to be done today. He had plans to join me a little late, leaving location scouting up to my judgement. Well, life got in the way, and Tom ended up not being able to make it.

Solo mission.

Things have been pretty good lately at a certain surf spot we like so I went to check it out.

Waves were bigger than I like to see, and there was just enough salad in the water to make me apprehensive, but not enough to make me call it a no go.

I sat and stared at the water, willing it to be different. I went to get a taco, and checked again. I drove to another nearby spot. It was worse.

Finally, I rigged up and made a couple test casts before I brought the whole set up down. Test cast results were negative. Damn.

Off to the bay I went.

Set up, tossed out a squid and sat down to wait. Moments later I was rewarded with a nice small bay exotic. Our friend the horn shark.

Just in case you ever wondered how they got their name...

Set him free, baited up and cast out. Within 2 minutes, the rod bounced, bounced again, then stopped. Bait check revealed I had been bait ganked.

Repeat this scenario several times, without the release, and finally, I get a nice little clicker run.

I set the hook, felt a fish, but there wasn't much to it. In short order I got a junior model leopard.

Sorry, but my 3GS doesn't do so well after dark. Whatever, its not that impressive a fish anyway you slice it.

I lost a few more baits as time to head out approached. True to form, my one good shot at a nice fish came as I was loading some extraneous gear into the truck. Zzzzzzz, zzzzzzz,  then nothing. That was it for the night.

I was one sh!t shark short of a shore shark slam.

Beautiful evening on the water though. No complaints.

raychavez91

• Leopard
  • moderator's look up to me
    • View Profile
Re: One Shark Short 10/14/2014
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 12:45:58 AM »
Some times those solo trips are your only chance to really just take in the beauty of the ocean at night, congrats man

MASSfisher

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 06:56:38 AM »
Nice work. Can't tell you how many times I get bit as I'm loading up my truck....

The surf has been rough the last few days. Can't wait for it to die down....

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 08:59:45 AM »
Sorry I couldn't make it Steve. 

The bay has been a little sharky the last few weeks and that's nice to see. 

Glad you got some.  Bummed I couldn't make it. Hopefully the Dr will give me some better than worse news.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Sticks

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 05:30:25 PM »
Nice shark Steve...

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 12:18:33 AM »
Horn sharks are cool, no fight in em, but still cool.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)