Author Topic: dropped in the sand and bad gears  (Read 9122 times)

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
dropped in the sand and bad gears
« on: March 04, 2016, 04:56:02 AM »
Waves dropped me and my reel in the drink last week. Sent to Diawa and has a bad drive and pinion gears.

$40. >:(

Jim

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Re: dropped in the sand and bad gears
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2016, 06:30:08 AM »
That sounds like it was existent before the dunking then, unless you reeled the crap out of it with sand in it and even then It should be fine. 
I'm no reel expert, so take what I say with a grain of salt.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2016, 01:13:20 PM »
That sounds like it was existent before the dunking then, unless you reeled the crap out of it with sand in it and even then It should be fine. 
I'm no reel expert, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

What Tom said, especially the pinion gear. That usually fails under load.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2016, 01:14:33 PM »
$40 isn't bad though for quality work from the mfg and some piece of mind. Just make sure they really remove ALL THE SAND.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2016, 02:10:55 PM »
Sounds like they threw in some bearings to me. Reeling a sandy reel does more damage.

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2016, 09:54:35 PM »
Going to take 2 weeks.  :(

I'll have to use the Penn 506 for the batfight.

Jim

LONGCAST JOE

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2016, 06:58:39 AM »
If your going to make a habit of getting dunked Jim you might consider picking up a Zeebaas  :o

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2016, 07:41:19 AM »
If your going to make a habit of getting dunked Jim you might consider picking up a Zeebaas  :o

Seems to be an annual event for me. So go it out of the way early this year.

Jim

Jaws

• Mud Marlin
  • Bitten by the shark bug!
    • View Profile
    • Sharkbite Photography
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2016, 09:16:58 PM »
Just let me know when you have time to learn, it takes about 30 minutes to do a full teardown and rebuild and its dead easy! Ask Binh! ;D

I have my Saltist hot rodded with better drags and bearings.I tend to work my reels over pretty hard and haven't had one fail yet. ::)
It's all Tom and Don's fault! They "hooked" me on mud marlins and sharks!

SNBF VI  Winner

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2016, 06:56:48 PM »
Just let me know when you have time to learn, it takes about 30 minutes to do a full teardown and rebuild and its dead easy! Ask Binh! ;D

I have my Saltist hot rodded with better drags and bearings.I tend to work my reels over pretty hard and haven't had one fail yet. ::)

Are you talkin the black gold saltist ? I'd like to do some upgrades.

Jaws

• Mud Marlin
  • Bitten by the shark bug!
    • View Profile
    • Sharkbite Photography
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2016, 11:54:09 PM »
It's all Tom and Don's fault! They "hooked" me on mud marlins and sharks!

SNBF VI  Winner

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2016, 01:56:01 PM »
It arrived back and seems fine. Now I have a backup.

I'll see when I get some time and you can show me how to hot rod one Joe.

Jim

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2016, 02:14:00 PM »

Agree with Joe. Get to know your gear from the inside. Especially when you have a fishing-bud who has dropped your gear in soft sand and/or mud not once, not twice, not thr... ah, let's not peel off that bandaid right now.  >:(  :D :D :D
It's actually pretty fun / rewarding. Learned a lot from the Alan Tani step by step tutorials. I strip down both my Toriums, and the Sealine. Upgrade drags, replace bearings, clean washers, grease and oil. Makes your stuff last, at least on the inside. Outer shell, different story. My poor toriums look like they've been dragged behind a truck  :-[ :-[   ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 02:20:57 PM by WheresMyBeer »

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2016, 07:53:40 PM »

Agree with Joe. Get to know your gear from the inside. Especially when you have a fishing-bud who has dropped your gear in soft sand and/or mud not once, not twice, not thr... ah, let's not peel off that bandaid right now.  >:(  :D :D :D
It's actually pretty fun / rewarding. Learned a lot from the Alan Tani step by step tutorials. I strip down both my Toriums, and the Sealine. Upgrade drags, replace bearings, clean washers, grease and oil. Makes your stuff last, at least on the inside. Outer shell, different story. My poor toriums look like they've been dragged behind a truck  :-[ :-[   ;D ;D ;D

I recall funny noises coming out of your reels the last time.  I can't believe you still catch fish on those reels.  ;D
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2016, 09:39:06 PM »

I recall funny noises coming out of your reels the last time.  I can't believe you still catch fish on those reels.  ;D

Dude - that was a click in the handle which was fixed.  >:(  Paul's stuff has the funky sounds ...  ;D ;D ;D