Author Topic: Canned Tuna  (Read 3871 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Canned Tuna
« on: March 07, 2016, 07:23:52 AM »
Well, after 6 months in the freezer, vacuum sealed tuna starts to not be so great so I usually can any tuna that hits 6 months in the freezer so nothing is wasted... and it still tastes so awesome.

Here are my basic step by step procedures for canning.

Sterilize the washed and cleaned jars and lids in boiling water for 15 minutes.  Make sure the jars and lids are completely covered.

Remove them with tongs and place on a clean dry surface.  I usually wait about 10 minutes and place a 1/4" of olive oil at the bottom of each jar as well as some diced garlic and onion slices.  I also put a teaspoon of liquid smoke in each one as it makes for a great flavor in the finished product.

I layer medallion after medallion of 3/4" cuts with kosher salt and pepper between each layer.  I also add a little olive oil so it is all layered properly.
I also take a plastic spoon and swipe the sides to make sure all the air gaps are out so everything is properly cooked and canned.  I also add a baby carrot for some extra flavor while cooking.

I go to the bottom of the neck before cleaning the lip of the jar with a paper towel and vinegar to make sure of a great seal.

The new pressure cooker is loaded with the proper water level and amount of jars.

This particular cooker cooks it at 80 psi for 75 minutes.

Voila!

Good for over a year in the pantry.  I did have 1 jar of the 10 that didn't seem to have a great seal, so I don't mess around with it and just put it in the fridge for dinner and/or lunch this week.  Don't mess around if you don't think it sealed right!

I'll update pics later when I make some killer tuna salad sandwiches !

Thanks for reading

You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Re: Canned Tuna
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 06:08:05 PM »
Just finished off the rest of my bluefin this morning.

Had a nice fillet of Alaskan salmon last night as well.

mdcesq

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 10:49:28 AM »

Damn Tom, you truly are a jack of all trades.  Impressive canning.  My mom used to can a lot of stuff from our garden in Washington, but never fish!

Now, where's your dehydrated fruit leather thread?   :)

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2016, 07:08:44 AM »
That is pretty cool, Tom  8) Did you can anything out of your garden this year ?