Author Topic: Multi Day AM Reports 5/8/5/9/5/10 Halibut/Sandies/and Grumps  (Read 2287 times)

HalibutJoel99

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
Sorry everyone for the 3 day report. Just been busy fishing and working. Going to try to do my best and describe the days without making it a novel.

5/8

After being pumped up about the previous morning and wanting some redemption from the previous day. I headed out to much better conditions.
There is just something about fishing in the early morning, something special really. Arrived at first light and the waves weren't to bad, once in awhile there would be a few big sets but it would settle down nicely.

Started casting on the 12# Pline Xstrong and the Shimano Cedona 5000C.
LC 115 MR Sexy Smelt

A couple of casts in a get a decent strike, start fighting and I'm bringing her in and it pops off. It came to the top and just couldn't tell what it was. Cast out again and Bam, I get hooked up. Now this fish was the real deal, It's always easy going out to the spot but not coming back in, that's always different with your adrenaline pumping. LOL! Anyways I did everything right and backed up nicely and as soon as it got in close I saw a nice Halibut on the line and then just like that it slipped off the hooks. ( As I look back I didn't get a good hook set on her, as a matter of fact I don't even remember setting the hook) I'm standing there in the water shaking my head. Happy I didn't lose the LC. =) After that quickly casted back out and that spot was dead.

Tried another spot near by and as the morning got later the conditions worsened. But not before I found a nice Bass hole. ( I did retie)
I was getting Small Calicos and Sandbass, it was fun. Called it a morning. Got about 6 fish mixed bag. All shorts.

Here's one of the Calicos from that session.

5/9

Arrived in the dark and started casting with the headlamp on and the conditions were pretty good, but there was much more kelp out there today with a strong south swell. It was clear and starry out when the light came which I don't really like. I really like a nice grey cloudy light, which I'm glad we see a lot of in the mornings here in Socal.  Casted and casted some more and nothing really around. Even the Bass hole was quiet, tried one more spot to prevent the skunkage and it paid off nicely.

This Calico was a nice strike and a fun battle in the ever growing waves. Glad I won today. Also glad I didn't lose any lures. ended the day with a nice 16 1/4 inch Calico Bass. Released to fight another day. Here she is.

One more. Hooked shot

5/10

Headed out  in the dark again and when I got out of the car I saw big waves, I was like noooo. Got my stuff ready and headed out and was glad to see the waves settle down. But they would grow quicker today, So I knew I had to really work at it. No wind though which I love. I mean I tried going out Saturday afternoon and I just laughed, there was no way to even cast. I just really prefer the mornings. Today the swell wasn't to bad and the salad wasn't bad either. Crazy I'm telling, every day changes so much. It really is something special. Anyways headlamp on I'm walking out to my spot and I feel a nice thump on my shin. Lol Not a stingray but a thump in the dark, oh my what is that? The thoughts that race through the mind. Went to casting and in the dark I'm going for that White Sea Bass, one of these days I want to get that legal WSB. Oh and by the way be careful out there, in the light there are tons of sting rays.

Nothing biting in the dark and as soon as first light hits, boom I get a nice Calico on the LC.

All tangles and all I was happy. I retied, and time was running out and I was praying to the fish gods for a Halibut, well today they answered. Actually this is what happened. I casted out and felt a tap, darn it missed it. Casted out again in the same area again and again. Then I feel a nice tap tap. After this whole weekend and all that went down. I did a huge hook set slam. I mean probably to hard and this was the final result which I'm happy to land the fish and wished it was legal after seeing the damage done. But in the end i'll take it.  I fell twice bringing this fish back in and spun around trying to keep the line tight. I did succeed, but after seeing the hookset I don't feel as bad on the legal ones.

21" Halibut and left the beach with a big grin on my face and no more lost lures and some great fish memories to take with me.

Here's the damage. Only hooked it on that one hook.

I hope one eyed Willy err Wilma is doing okay out there. She swam off pretty strong.

Thanks for reading my story and the best of luck to everyone out there. Be safe and until next tide.

Joel

8)

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: Multi Day AM Reports 5/8/5/9/5/10 Halibut/Sandies/and Grumps
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 11:26:16 PM »
You definitely have your zone dialed in.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2016, 06:00:49 AM »
You're getting 'er done Joel................. 8)
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2016, 07:47:27 AM »
Now I'm waiting for that 30# hali to slide up the sand!   ;D

Nicely done, Joel!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2016, 05:23:25 PM »
You got your stuff dialed in well Joel, nice job as always  8)

lamnidae

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2016, 09:48:34 AM »
That beast will happen soon. It is the time of year.