Author Topic: Legal Halibut And Toad Barracuda Mixed Bag AM Report 7/3/16  (Read 2701 times)

HalibutJoel99

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
Went out yesterday and the surf was up pretty high. Managed to get one short Calico. Salad was a huge problem.

Go out this morning in the pitch dark and I've never seen so much clumps of seaweed. No joke, the seaweed was 3 to 4 feet deep piles and spread out thoroughly on the beach. Wasn't looking good at first I was thinking. I tried walking through some and almost got stuck up to my waist. I tried to get a picture but it was to dark.

The only picture that came out.

It was pitch dark this morning, no moon to help out and cloudy. Slight breeze and the water was super warm. Was on the beach at 3:30 AM.

I did after searching a bit find an area with some clean water, the first spot I checked was all weeds. Baitfish was everywhere! Small silver tip chovies darting all around the water, with my headlamp on I could see the flashes of silver streaking. When I would lift my line out of the water, I could see them streaking too! I was happy about this.

Armed with a Luckycraft FM 110 On my Shimano Cedona c5000 and 7' Diawa Coastal I started casting. Swell and surge was pretty strong and could see white cap waves washing in. There were times though it settled down to get your lure in the zone.

What happened next was just frickin awesome! Took about 15 minutes when I feel a huge slam as soon as the lure hit the water. WHAM! Thrashing hard and headshakes violently. Jumping out of the water with so much power, I knew what was on the other end. These guys are so hard to land even when you got them hooked well. They thrash so much. Today after a nice battle I got my prize- Barracuda   And a decent one from the surf.

Almost 24 inches.

Look at those teeth! PB from the surf for sure! Quick release

Now with all the baitfish around I knew it was only a matter of time before I got a Halibut. I was confident I was believing there just had to be a Halibut around. I was casting in all directions. Thinking are they all full? No, I know they're here. I could almost smell them! Not to much long after, I casted to my far left and against the surge, rod tip down and slow retrieve. Then all of a sudden! Slam!! Felt the headshakes right away and knew it was my target species. This fish wasn't to hard of a fight, the Cuda was way more stronger. The Halibut swam in with me most of the way. Until she realized the water was all gone and it was to late. She put up a fight on the sand. Hard to pick her up!

22.5 Halibut  Target acquired!

measured shot

Love how this shot came out with the eyes and teeth. A Righty!

Had to get a surfer on the beach to get a quick picture.

Surf at that spot was rising and getting unfishable. Decided to make another move to another beach at first light, and got some Sandie,Calico and Croaker action. Here's a couple pics.

YFC

Sandie

Lost a couple other few bites, Terns were dive bombing. Crowds starting to fill the beaches. I did get completely annihilated by a few waves. Knocked both my flip flops off and took my feet out from me. Did keep the reel out the best I could and got my flops back! I was super happy though after a great session.

Happy 4th of July weekend to everyone and enjoy yourselves! I did keep the Halibut for some fresh 4th barbecuing. Looking forward to some nice fireworks tonight.

Be safe out there and thanks for reading.

Joel

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: Legal Halibut And Toad Barracuda Mixed Bag AM Report 7/3/16
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2016, 12:45:55 PM »
Surf cuda? Sweet catch Joel.

HalibutJoel99

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2016, 02:25:37 PM »
Surf cuda? Sweet catch Joel.

Yes, and Thank you Steve. Alot of fun too. Jumping crazy!

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2016, 04:54:30 PM »
Like I said Joel, you're giving me a complex  :(
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2016, 10:48:02 PM »
3:30am your hardcore ;D
2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2016, 11:17:28 PM »
Sweet!!!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2016, 01:31:02 AM »
Killed it once again 8)

That's a good cuda from the sand, I've got a handful but about half that size.

lamnidae

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2016, 10:28:30 AM »
Awesome catch!