Author Topic: 3/4 day, 6/4  (Read 3076 times)

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
3/4 day, 6/4
« on: June 06, 2016, 04:09:55 PM »
The girlfriend set up a trip for her company aboard the Gailforce.

We got on just before 6am and everyone started rigging up their rental and walmart rods.

Not a single person there had any experience besides my gf and I. Some said they "fish" but it sure didnt look like it. The captain knew this and I think it played a role later on some of his decision making.

GF pointed out that this was a different captain than the previous times out.

We picked up some sardines on the way. The captain said if we all pitch in 10 bucks each we could get live squid. I was all for it but it was a group decision which was ultimately dismissed.

We headed straight to catalina island and they brought out a good amount of live squid from the front bait tank to the back one.  They did not mention they already had squid so what the hell was he asking for 10 bucks a preson? I didnt like this at all. we already had plenty to go around.

We set up a drift outside the island. Just about everyone set up to catch these small blue perch that were all around the boat in about 10 feet of water. They let out just enough slack with a small strip of frozen squid. 5 of us were fly lining sardines. Every time someone caught a perch the crew yelled out "nice perch"!! I didnt get why they were fishing for the things but they were content with them.

The first Yt hit the deck pretty quick, just a small 8-10 pounder. Nothing else from that drift, just a bunch of blue perch.  ::)

We headed closer to the island and began drifting again which yielded nothing. Keep in mind this was our first "heat wave" so there was alot of high pressure. Prior to going I felt the fishing was gona be either hot or pretty much shut down. It turned out to be completely shut down. I tried other things to get a reaction out of them, yoyo'd and tossed some flat fall jigs. Nothing....

We drove around and anchored up in another spot just off the island. The current was ripping and there were four sea lions cruising around at the back of the boat which the captain was aware of. I didnt get why we were fishing there. A handful of us got some good sized bonitos and calicos, small ones mixed in as well. Sea lions got some free meals.

Changed spots after a while and set anchor in another spot, again with a ripping current and tons of sea lions. Again, we were here for a while cathing blue perch, calicos and bonito. One guy hooked a nice yt, id guess maybe 20lbs, and a sea lion snatched it off the surface.

We headed back towards san pedro and hit another spot on which yeilded nothing.

I was not happy with the captains choice in spots.

Some said he was rude with a poor attitude, I said he was an idiot. He had mentioned it was his last day as a captain so maybe he just didnt give a sh!t. He also said the best boat in the area only got 3 yt.

Whatever, i enjoyed myself regardless. Favorite moment was watching the gf catch a 3lb bonito.

Heres the only pic taken, a 2lb calico that I bounced over the rail.

Gona continue watching counts and jumping on boats through out the summer.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
Re: 3/4 day, 6/4
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2016, 12:07:09 PM »
Sounds like captain could care less. Bummer, too fishy of an area to not even try. I love catching fish, so blue perch would've been a hoot for me. But, Catalina is too good for just perch.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2016, 12:10:52 PM »
Sounds like captain could care less. Bummer, too fishy of an area to not even try. I love catching fish, so blue perch would've been a hoot for me. But, Catalina is too good for just perch.

Well said.

Bummer Eric.  I have not been on a sport boat in a long time due to not being able to be a part of any decision making in finding the fish.... but if it was his last day, his foot was already out the door.  Timing is everything, but sport boats are no longer cheap.

Sorry boss, hopefully you get them the next time.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

SevengillTheVC

• Leopard
  • I don't always catch fish, but when I do....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016, 07:37:21 PM »
That sucks Eric. I agree with Tom it's hard to drop that kind of cash and have no say in what the target should be. I may not be experienced in boat angling but I sure know what I wanna catch! Better luck next time man, at least you got to spend quality time with the GF!

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2016, 08:37:08 AM »
Well, like you said...............at least you had fun.  The counts are crazy, 207 one day and 26 the next.  Me and Tony are jumping on the T-Bird tomorrow night, guess I'll know by the end of Monday how the fishing was  ::)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 08:38:50 AM by vdisney »
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2016, 12:28:41 PM »
Good luck Verne, looking forward to your report.

Our company overnighter out of seaforth is in mid July.

Gona be booking a few more trips after that. Will deffinately hook up on one...