Author Topic: A big fluke  (Read 4824 times)

Chris

• Leopard
  • Put me in coach!
    • View Profile
A big fluke
« on: July 18, 2016, 05:23:02 AM »
Headed out for some land based shark and grouper fishing on Saturday night. Although I have yet to catch a big grouper from shore I still like to include them because every time a local sees me setting up they ask if I'm fishing for geouper, so of course I want one and am curious what grouper requires 100lb gear from shore. Lol.

I sent a wahoo head out about 300 yrds, a YFT about 200 and a skipjack around 100 right up against the rocky reef. Nothing happened all night but I did get to watch baitfish being crushed by small predatory fish and I could hear the GT off in the distance. It sounded like somebody slapping the water with a shovel and every now and then it was like a bowling ball fell off a 10 story building. Haha. I was super bummed because I did not being anything for throwing lures or trolling from the yak.

11:30 rolled around and I changed the two shorter baits to fresh yellow fin. Each about 5lbs. The short bait, on my senator 12/0, went about 120yrds this time and I honestly didn't know if I dropped it on the reef or the edge. I prayed it was the edge. The second went out on the sand about 200yrds again.

2:30 am and I'm in my chair sitting all kinds of crooked and sideways trying to get comfortable enough to fall asleep when something made me open my eyes and look at my glow sticks on the line. The 12/0 had dipped and was swaying. I watched it for a few seconds and nothing was happening but I knew I needed to get fresh baits out again for the sunrise, especially if I was going to doze off. So I put my harness on just in case and watched the 12/0 rod for a little bit. I tightened it up and it unmediatly dropped. Thinking the claw bent loose I decided to just reel it in when it went tight... I turned the clicker off and pulled off some line (it was set about 15lbs). It came right quick and pulled a couple feet. I could tell it wasn't big and probably wasn't a shark so I put it in freespool thinking it was trying to choke down that tuna. Well, as soon as I put it in freespool it took off and burned the heck out of my thump so I threw it in gear, tightened the drag and reeled down hard! Rod bent, line peeled off and fish was on!

It did 3 or 4 small runs about 6 feet each time then took off sideways and went across all my lines. Once I got over the other two lines it swam right to shore and the turned about 40ft out. It tried to pull drag but couldn't and within seconds I could see my leader. I was expecting to see some kind of nurse shark or grouper but to my surprise it was a GT! Or Giant Trevally!

I had my camera ready with the timer to take a pic so I snapped one as soon as it hit the sand, threw my tape over it and took one then set up with the timer and got the glory shot! I got him back in the water and tried reviving him but he didn't want to swim off. I pushed him around a bit and he finally kicked off and made it about 6 ft then went sideways. By that time I decided I would keep him, get a guyotaku print and cook it up for the guys at work.

He weighed in at 25kg on the dot, which is 55lbs my first big GT over 12 lbs.. Smoked it all today and we ate all but 2 steaks that had to go on after the first batch.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 05:26:21 AM by Chris »
Keep it tight

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Re: A big fluke
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 06:56:42 AM »
Awesome catch Chris!  That's a hell of a GT!

How did it taste?  I've never had GT before and curious as I would have assumed smoking it would be the best option.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 07:34:59 AM »
Sweet 8)
2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 07:52:49 AM »
You made the cover page to the site.  Great catch, Chris!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2016, 10:30:44 AM »
That looks like a blast.

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2016, 11:10:12 AM »
Good seeing a report from you Chris, that's a damn cool catch 8)

SevengillTheVC

• Leopard
  • I don't always catch fish, but when I do....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2016, 11:17:33 AM »
Wow Okinawa seems to get the best of tropical and temperate fish! Nice going Chris, now you gotta catch one of those jetty Makos to make us all super jealous!

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2016, 01:18:59 PM »
Huge chunks! What was in it's stomach?
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2016, 09:19:36 PM »
Kick ass ...

Nice GT man.

Chris

• Leopard
  • Put me in coach!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2016, 10:05:18 PM »
Thanks guys! And Tom, super awesome to be on the front page!

The stomach was empty except for some small crab legs. I'd put money on it that it regurgitated its recent meals trying to pull 30lbs of drag.

It taste really good. Not fishy at all and the meat is firm but not chewy. Like sheepshead meat but different taste.

Kaipo and I are going to soak some GT specific baits and throw lures a few nights coming up.
Keep it tight

scisports

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2016, 08:19:28 AM »
No risk of Ciguatera in Okinawa? There was some mention of it in Hawaii....

Chris

• Leopard
  • Put me in coach!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2016, 06:25:41 PM »
No reports of it, and we're all still alive.
Keep it tight

faster u fool

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2016, 07:52:09 AM »
thats soo rad.  killer catch Chris. 8) 8) ;D ;D
GET OUT AND GET BIT..