Author Topic: Critter rig ?'s  (Read 5021 times)

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Critter rig ?'s
« on: August 10, 2016, 08:40:34 AM »
For those of you that fish a second rod for critters with squid, chovy, or other smaller baits, what terminal rigs do you use?
I'm mainly talking about for the surf.  In the harbor I usually use a cannon ball rig, but open to suggestions there also.
Thanks!

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Re: Critter rig ?'s
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2016, 08:57:39 AM »
2-4 oz sputnik on 20 lb line drop shot rig with a 4/0-6/0 circle hook about a foot up. That is mainly for bass. I tie the sinker with a mild clinch knot so it could release if snagged.

I use a 10lb with 1oz and #6  hooks for perch/croaker usually a carolina rig. Depends the salad level though.

Jim

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2016, 10:11:32 AM »
Similar to Jim's only use a 3-way swivel, 4/0 octopus hook and a 3oz sputnik.  The last time however, I couldn't hold bottom with the 3, so I just reeled in the rig as the current was too strong for it.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Mateo

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 12:16:47 PM »
I like a double dropper loop with perfection loop knots on 15ib mono. My preferred hooks are a japanese eyeless snell octopus hook. They are very strong ,very slight offset and very sharp! Also a stealthy black. I like putting a little glow bead in front of the hooks .been thinking about adding a bobber stopper to keep them within 2inches of the hook. I also really like that my friends wont borrow my hooks since they dont snell. I love the snell knot. Preferred knot of japanese long liners for over 200 years cause they are easy to tye at night. These have caught me a lot of bass, perch and a few sargo on hot summer nights. They have worked great on twighlight trips too where I felt I was doing much better than others fishing next to me. Shrimp chunks ,squid strips and mussel globs work great. I lightly wrap themy around a pool noodle cut or store them like this.

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 01:16:33 PM »
Very cool ideas, thanks!