Author Topic: The Surf Standards (9/4)  (Read 3170 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
The Surf Standards (9/4)
« on: September 05, 2016, 10:16:30 AM »
We went out last night hoping to get Andrew to cross a saddled unicorn off his list.  He's been coming out for 4 years now and has not got his leopard yet.
Steve got to the beach first and after 3 casts, turned around and went back to his truck.  Three casts and 3 huge balls of grass. We agreed on a plan B in hopes that beach was salad free.

Where'smybeer (Dave) also joined us so we had a good spread of rods along the beach.  No weeds and it wasn't long before the action started.  Dave and I got a small calico when Andrew's rod went off in the distance.  He ran down and got him hooked up in time.  He thought it was a big bass when I heard a loud hollar of satisfaction!  He caught his leopard shark!

His night was made!  We kept catching evil eels and small calico bass.

I finally got a lobster to show Andrew we do catch them out of the surf here nd it was back to eels.  Dave and Steve got a monster one and as big as I have ever seen.  Maybe 5' and FAT!  It f@cked both of their gear up and took a long while to free up.

Dave and his bass....  (Andrew got one also, but tossed it quickly when Dave got a big hit!)

Dave had the hit of the evening and a screaming reel.  I thought it was a 7-gill from the distance after he landed it because it was so fat, but he got a donkey of a leopard!  5-1/2 footer for sure!

I took a shot of Andrew holding Dave's fishas it was a lot bigger than the one he got.

These damn eels were getting annoying.....

I had what I thought was a real fish as it ripped clicker, but turned out to be just a nice Smoothie.

Well, with one last fish to kick of Andrew's bucket list.... he got his nasty eel!  lol

Well, it was one of the better surf sessions in a while and it was great to see Andrew scratch some fish off his bucket list.

Thanks for reading and until next tide...

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that Steve fed the reef for all of us tonight.  I think he lost 3 rigs and wasted a few more...and I don't remember if he got any either.  Steve played the sacrificial lamb for us last night.... thanks Steve.   :)
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: The Surf Standards (9/4)
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 10:24:52 AM »
Funny how bad you wanted to stay away from that spot for fear of losing gear. Pretty sure I'm the only one who lost anything besides eel damage.

Andrew's victorious shout when he pulled in that leopard was great. Congrats.

Good to see Dave out there too.

Going to get ahold of Wilbur today.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 10:45:53 AM »
Phucking A, you guys found a fishable beach! Damn, my luck has gotta improve soon.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 10:48:28 AM »
That big eel was a trip. It was wrapped with a huge clump of grass / kelp tightly wound up in our gear. Took a while to pull that apart, and the fricken eel was constantly turning inside-out and knotting up.

Steve finally managed to free his gear -

[Steve]   "Well, Dave" ... "I salvaged what I wanted ... your hook, your problem now"  ;D ;D ;D Hilarious

That was fun. Nice meeting you Andrew and congrats on the Leo (and eel i guess)

Kelp towards the end was no fun. That made for an easy decision to bail.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 11:28:02 AM by WheresMyBeer »

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2016, 10:50:53 AM »
Awesome 8)

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2016, 11:00:35 AM »