Author Topic: Pounding sand (10-26)  (Read 4362 times)

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
Pounding sand (10-26)
« on: October 27, 2016, 01:28:32 AM »
Solo sesh. Bullet tuna head in the water by 8:15p. Tide was already on its way out. Brought a critter rod to keep me busy in the event the long rod goes untouched.

Lots of critter bites. Heads coming back picked clean, steaks came back only as skin. I'm in the right place. Weeds on my line on every cast, but very manageable. Surf was maybe 1-3'. Great conditions!

Critter rod strikes first with a chunky round ray. Back she went. The long rod did its critter bounce through out the night. I did finally sink my hook into one critter... man was it delicious looking!

Looked barely legal. It's really hard to throw back reef roaches. I was just imagining it on grill ;) But, gotta do the right thing.

It's almost 10p and the tide is dropping quick! Down to my last 2 chunks of bullet tuna, a steak of the mid section and a tail. I toss out a very bloody and fresh steak. I marvel at my best cast of the night, an easy 50-60yd cast with no backlash and no flying bait. My confidence is sky high after that cast!! It soaks a minute or so when I notice my rod bounces a couple of times. I walk over to it waiting for the clicker to scream... nothing. Another bounce followed by a jolt that nearly knocks the rod out of the holder. Holding my rod now. I just replaced the batteries on my super bright headlamp so I can see out into the darkness pretty far. That's when I catch a glimpse of something breach the water. I see the white underbelly and I hear the splash. Dolphin? Porpoise?!! Rod bounces like crazy so I set the hook. I feel the weight and an ever so slight pull in the opposite direction. I'm convinced it's a grinner, but it's different. An occasional head shake and the weight, but not zig zagging or tail walking. No soupfin like antics. It's too slow to be a leo?? It breaches again about 30yds from me, now my adrenaline is pumping! I do the whole "come on baby, don't come off"!! Lots of weight now and more head shakes. About 10tds away it breaches a final time and I get a positive ID, my first 7gill!!

No tail rope handy, gonna have to beach it the hard way. I back off the drag and put my rod in the holder. Run into the water about knee deep and grab its tail. The mofo almost grabs my arm!! I'm hooting and hollering and cussing as it repeatedly takes a swipe at me. Lol!! This is awesome!! Beach him and do my best to take solo shots of 78" of still green grinner. Stoked!!!!

« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 01:34:53 AM by Pinoyfisher »
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: Pounding sand (10-26)
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 04:37:11 AM »
Right on, Mike. Sounds like classic seven action.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 06:12:51 AM »
That's about as perfect as a Sevengill hit goes!

Congrats Mike!  That was a LONG time in the making to catch that elusive Sevengill you've been seeking!  Bravo and great solo mission.  Congrats and you will surely be on the front page to get all the shark hunters envious!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 07:15:32 AM »
Thanks guys! You know I've been putting in the work. I have a good feeling about the upcoming gathering.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 04:08:40 PM by Pinoyfisher »
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
    • Ben Cantrell's fish species blog
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2016, 07:51:50 AM »
Congrats!  It's crazy how moments like that tend to happen when you're out solo.

Even if I don't get one myself, I'm really hoping to see some of those big guys landed at the Grinner Gathering.  Can't wait!

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2016, 08:12:35 AM »
YES MIKE!!!!
So happy for you bro!  You've been working hard for that one and you deserve it!!
Nice work!

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2016, 08:23:09 AM »
FINALLY Mike gets the elusive 7 Gill. That sounds like a typical 7 Gill bite. Probably a little anti-climatic but it's pretty cool to see it in the surf. Congrats! ;)
2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2016, 09:13:28 AM »
Congrats!  8)

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2016, 09:24:20 AM »
Shark of a thousand casts and a ton of seaweed.

Congrats Mike.  ;D

Good sign stuff is picking up.

Jim

Fish Jerk

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2016, 12:03:06 PM »
Congrats! I remember the satisfaction when I got my first seven. Well done.

LONGCAST JOE

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2016, 02:13:14 PM »
Right on Mike! WTG solo-seshin it!...it was starting to look like the Cubs were going to win a World Series before your 7-gill drought was over. Nice job lifting the curse. High five for you coming at The Gathering.... Now that that's out of the way you should be passing Steve on the leaderboard in no time.  :o
JOE

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2016, 03:49:28 PM »
Hell yeah, nice one Mike!

Didn't know this was your first, stoked for you 8)

Now go get another one ;D

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2016, 05:07:45 AM »
Much congrats, stoked for you...................V
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2016, 01:53:51 PM »
WTG, Mike  8)  Looks like tons of fun  :)