Author Topic: Truth Reel SM review  (Read 6921 times)

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
Truth Reel SM review
« on: November 17, 2016, 04:47:53 PM »
I wanted to find a reel that was designed for distance casting, that had some type of cast control to cut back or eliminate backlashes during casting, but also had the line capacity to tackle most of the big game we'd encounter in our surf. Most of us already know, for the most part, we need a long cast to get in the zone. But getting a good cast with a heavy sinker and a big chunk of bait can be difficult. Especially when using braid as the backlash can be horrendous. After an exhaustive search, I found there aren't many options. Abu Garcia has a few, Penn has the Squall (Binh loves this one) and if you can find it, the Penn Mag, Okuma has one, and so does Avet. Just to name a few.

I went with Truth Reels' SM (star mag) star drag reel.

The specs:

STAR DRAG
WEIGHT: 16.8 OZ
GEAR RATIO: 6:1
38” PER CRANK
MAX DRAG: 24#
CAPACITY: MONO 20# 275 YDS
CAPACITY: BRAID 50# 450 YDS
CERAMIC SPOOL BEARINGS ABEC-7
4 CARBON DRAG WASHERS

What I liked:

-Built like a tank yet super light weight. It feels super powerful, like it can handle any fish  it hooks up to.

-Reel sits low on the rod, which aids in casting for me. With the "taller" reels, the spool has more of a tendency to slip under my thumb while the rod is loading up during a cast resulting in a backlash. I get that more often than I wish when casting jigs using a modified 4/0 reel (think YT special) or my Baja Special.

-It's a star drag! If only Avet made a star drag version of their MagiCast reels... I still have yet to find a lever drag that can cast as well as a star drag.

-It's so smooth! Going to chalk it up to the tight tolerances they manufacture their reels at and the 7 ceramic spool bearings. Once it goes through it's breaking in period, it'll be even smoother.

-The reel is specifically designed for the bait and wait fisherman that is tossing 3 to 16 ounces. So far, I have found the sweet spot to be about 10-12oz combined with the weight and bait.

-I dig the finish on the reel. Nothing fancy like gold or white, or flake prone like the older Saltists with their painted on finish.

-The clicker could be a tad louder, like my Fathoms, but it is so much louder than a lot of reels that I have owned in the past.

-Lifetime warranty! The only caveat being that they stay in business... LOL!

-USA made!!

-The magnetic cast control is awesome! I started off with the highest setting and casting without using my thumb to slow it down. It hits the water and the spool just stops. No over run! I backed off the control to about half and repeated the same thing without the use of my thumb as a break. The line fluffed up a bit mid cast, but it still kept the spool spinning at a fast enough rate that the line came off without a backlash and was still able to hit the water with very minimal thumb pressure. Repeated this several times during my recon trip and I got the same results every time. How did I go this long without the aid of magnets?!!!!!!!

What I didn't like:

- The clicker is in the way of my thumb while I'm retrieving a cast. I found myself hitting it a few times and switching it back on. Trying to train myself to avoid that area during the retrieve.

-Although I appreciate the oversized gears they pack into this little reel, the large gear box and it's placement kind of gets in the way. Another case of me training myself to avoid this area. Very reminiscent of the Daiwa Grandwaves I used to own in the early 2000s.

-The base of the reel is a little sharp in the edges near the hex screws that it kind of dug into my hand as I palmed the reel. I have a bad habit of palming small reels instead of gripping the rod just above the reel. Another habit to break.

-The reels are not designed to be serviced by the angler. In fact, they it difficult for the average angler to try and service the reel. Not too much of an issue for me, I'm rarely in the mood to service my own reels to begin with. After spending 7yrs servicing reels at H&M, it got old real quick. And these were the simple Jigmaster reels.

-The one way roller bearing as the only way to stop a fish. I wish it came with a dog as all bearings eventually fail over time. Some fail quicker than others. Their website states that the SM comes with same one way roller bearing as their much larger LG reel which is basically their version of a 40-50lb sized reel. But, the word on the street is, there is a plan to have a dog installed in future SM reels and that the ones that were sold pre-dog would be have the option of getting one installed like they did with their SG reels, which I own and have done to it. I sent it back, they installed the dog and they also serviced the reel free of charge. This is the deal breaker for most. Hopefully it's something I don't come to regret.

-The limited line capacity. But, I knew this going in. I checked out the reel first hand at Charkbait a few times before finally pulling the trigger. They claim it can hold 450yds of 50# braid... more like 250-300yds. Depending on the maker of the braid. I was able to get an additional 65yds of 30# mono topshot to go with 250yds or braid.

In conclusion, I love the fit and finish of the reel. I'm in love with the cast control. A bit of retraining is in order for me to make things work out for the best. The line capacity will always make things interesting when hooked up to big a bat. I don't think I'll have any issues with the grinners most get in the surf. I don't foresee any flexing issues in the frame like I have experienced with graphite reels in the past. It was a pricy reel at $400, but this reel should last a lifetime.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 04:50:14 PM by Pinoyfisher »
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: Truth Reel SM review
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 05:42:28 PM »
Nice review Mike. At that price I'm not in the market though. Follow up after a couple nice fish.

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 03:03:29 PM »
Wicked looking, love that reel!   8)

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 05:48:09 PM »
Cool insight Mike. Looks like a sexier version of the aftermarket Sealine frames.

I spy exposed hardware inside of the gear box. I assume it holds the handle shaft?

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2016, 10:26:05 PM »
Cool insight Mike. Looks like a sexier version of the aftermarket Sealine frames.

I spy exposed hardware inside of the gear box. I assume it holds the handle shaft?

Yup! Gonna have to keep that part well greased.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 07:24:42 AM by Pinoyfisher »
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2016, 07:20:32 PM »
Excellent review 8)

A little steep for my blood as well. Not to say I wouldn't buy one though...

I'm sure the company would love to read your review. You know they wanna get feedback from experienced fisherman.

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2016, 10:39:44 AM »
I can't wait to see how that new setup holds up to a 50+ inch bat ray.  ;D I hope I'm there to witness this! ;)
2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2016, 11:37:03 AM »
I love the review, but look forward to that once in a lifetime Black Sea Bass that grabs your bait and gives the reel its proper test.   ;D

Seriously though, very informed review and I appreciate it.  I've been looking at the Truth reels, but they are just so small.  Even just a 30 size would be a huge plus.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2016, 12:07:44 PM »
I love the review, but look forward to that once in a lifetime Black Sea Bass that grabs your bait and gives the reel its proper test.   ;D

Seriously though, very informed review and I appreciate it.  I've been looking at the Truth reels, but they are just so small.  Even just a 30 size would be a huge plus.

Their SG is a 25# reel and the LG is a 40/50# reel. The cool thing is they're still small enough of accompany that they respond quickly to inquiries. I'm waiting to hear some feedback from my concerns regarding the SM.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2016, 01:24:14 PM »
Just got a reply from Truth Reels (Justin) via Facebook about my review/concerns/likes. Will be sending him an email with more details. I know my my concerns won't change anything, but their interest in what I have to say is refreshing. Hopefully many others have the same concerns I have ;) And yes, there is plans to offer a larger reel with magnetic cast control!!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2016, 02:15:42 PM »
Just got a reply from Truth Reels (Justin) via Facebook about my review/concerns/likes. Will be sending him an email with more details. I know my my concerns won't change anything, but their interest in what I have to say is refreshing. Hopefully many others have the same concerns I have ;) And yes, there is plans to offer a larger reel with magnetic cast control!!

That's great news. I'd totally be into it with a slightly larger version. Thanks for the updates Mike!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

1morecast

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2016, 10:08:45 AM »
I'm glad there are people like you Mike. First ones to try things so the rest of us can benefit from it. I'm never the first to try new things since I know future iterations will be coming along soon. Truth reels should send you their new model to demo for them. ;)
Twenty Three (23)

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2016, 10:12:12 AM »
Truth reels should send you their new model to demo for them. ;)

Im sure there's a line a mile long for guys waiting to demo for them.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

1morecast

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2016, 09:44:10 AM »
Truth reels should send you their new model to demo for them. ;)

Im sure there's a line a mile long for guys waiting to demo for them.

That's true, I'm sure they also want people who actually catch fish to try their gear too.  ;D
Twenty Three (23)

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2017, 12:48:48 AM »
Release Reels had to change their name a 2nd time. Awesome of them to announce it via a letter to every customer. Nice touch!

Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)