Author Topic: Grinner Gathering success  (Read 5481 times)

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
    • Ben Cantrell's fish species blog
Grinner Gathering success
« on: November 20, 2016, 10:28:18 AM »
The Grinner Gathering ended on a high note.  :D

I showed up around 6pm to find the beach already packed with PS folks.  I'm not sure I met everyone - sorry if you were there and I didn't end up meeting you.  I set up next to Joe closest to the reef, which turned out to be a good spot for me because the current wasn't strong there, so my rig didn't get pulled around too much.  Joe let me borrow a rod holder and a glow stick, which I was very grateful for.

Mike offered to let me use one of his surf rods, but when I heard how slow the fishing was I decided to stick with my 10' MH travel rod and baitfeeder spinning reel packed with 40 lb braid.  My hope was to get a leopard shark, smoothhound, or moray for my lifelist.  Sevengills or soupfins could wait until another time.  I used store bought mackerel on an 8/0 J-hook, 135 lb nylon coated steel leader, and 100 lb mono abrasion leader.  Weight was a 4 oz pyramid sinker on a sliding rig.  I wasn't casting as far out as other people, but it wasn't too bad because the braid came off the reel pretty smoothly.  The waves pulled my sinker back and forth quite a bit, but the current wasn't strong enough to actually move it any noticeable distance.

Fishing was slow.  I had a couple baits chewed on by lobsters.  Twice I think I had an actual fish pull out my line, but when I tried to set the hook nothing was there.  Salad was annoying, but honestly wasn't too bad.

By about 11pm everyone had left except for Tom, Joe, and me.  Joe wandered off down the beach looking for critters, so Tom came down to fish next to me.  As we were chatting something pulled hard on my line, and I ran to my rod, but when I tried to set the hook, nothing was there.  A half hour later something took my line again, and this time I got to my rod more quickly, and when I set the hook it was FISH ON!  Whatever it was was stripping line off my reel pretty quickly.  Tom yelled at me to run down the beach away from the reef to try to keep it from getting into the rocks.  He reeled in his line to avoid tangles.  My reel was getting dangerously low, so I started thumbing the spool to try to stop it.  The situation wasn't looking good, when all of the sudden my line went completely slack.  Tom yelled, "reel reel reel!" and I packed nearly half of the line back on the reel before I felt the weight of the fish again.  This happened twice more, but each time I was getting more line back on the reel, so it looked like I would win.  Tom spotted the fish and yelled "shark!", and he waded out and grabbed it's tail.

69" female soupfin, the biggest fish I've ever caught and first shark I've caught from shore.  :D :D :D

I completely skunked out on my original three targets, but that's quite alright haha.  This was a night I'll never forget!

Thanks Tom for organizing this, and again it was great meeting everyone!  Can't wait until we can get out again.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: Grinner Gathering success
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 10:31:38 AM »
Congrats, Ben. That's a nice fish.

BackBayMan

• Leopard
  • Always lurking...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2016, 10:43:33 AM »
Nice fish Ben! Way to work for it 8)
Anybody have an emergency beer?

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2016, 10:58:43 AM »
More than just stoked for you my man, and a soupie to boot..........................awesome   ;D ;D ;D
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2016, 11:01:54 AM »
It was a long session, but well worth the wait.  I think if we stuck it out longer, we probably would ahve got one or two more since the salad situation died out.

Congrats Ben on the fish and the Win!  I have to add you to the Specialty Shark list.  You are already ahead of a bunch of the members combined!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2016, 11:32:23 AM »
Kick a$$ Ben!!! Stoked you got one!! Soupies are pretty fun. It was a pleasure meeting you.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Sharkinthedark II

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2016, 11:50:22 AM »
Nice  Soupie! Awesome that you were trunkin' till last call ;)!

Mateo

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2016, 12:02:24 PM »
Congrats Ben! Well done. Wish I would've stayed longer now!

LONGCAST JOE

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2016, 12:09:23 PM »
Way to save the night my friend, stoked it happened for you! Great meeting you in person...We'll get that leopard for you next time for sure.

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2016, 12:23:02 PM »
That's awesome Ben!! Congratulations!!

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2016, 01:23:06 PM »
 Happy for you Ben, you got some good pics as well 8)

" I set up next to Joe closest to the reef"

Nice move  ;D :P 8)

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2016, 08:15:17 PM »
Wow, persistence pays off in the end. Mike, Joe and I packed it in at 10pm. Glad to hear you got the right kind.  :)
2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

lightline21

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2016, 12:08:19 AM »
Congrats, perseverance always pays off! Congrats!

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2016, 06:35:21 AM »
I guess I should have stayed, that was my spot  :o Congrats on the win and hopefully we will meet you on the sand soon  8) 8)

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
    • Ben Cantrell's fish species blog
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2016, 08:07:05 AM »
Thanks everyone!