Author Topic: Problem Solving (1/21/17)  (Read 3251 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Problem Solving (1/21/17)
« on: January 21, 2017, 07:56:40 PM »
I had plans to take my old buddy Joe out fishing for some time now and finally settled on this weekend.  Unfortunately we saw them calling for wind and Rain for Saturday, but decided to brave it anyway.

The Square Boma is still not running right, but it does move good when you have to stay at the 5mph zone.  What better way to get the boat wet than to give it a bath in fresh water at one of my favorite local lakes.

The lake was empty and not a drop of rain fell on us, but it did get windy and was generally cold.

Joe struck first on his first cast... First Cast Curse for a long time after this one.

I then farm two on power bait... I mean it crushed the powerbait flat like a pancake and the hook never set... Damn...

I finally hook up and this one wasn't getting away.

We only were getting bit on the power bait and the pinched crawler wasn't doing much until I say the rod bobbing! Finally, on the worm!
It felt different and I called a catfish, but was hoping it was a big trout.  Super fun fight on light gear.

The wind kicked up hard and we went from spot to spot around the lake looking to get out of the wind and still catch some fish.  We finally found a spot to fit that bill. 
Joe was first up to break the first cast curse and finally get another 'bow in the boat.

Not too long after and the bastard is on again!  Another nice cookie cutter Rainbow.

Now he's up 3 to 2 on me and letting me know it!  We also brought some catfish gear and was trying along with the trout gear to score something big.

All of a sudden, my 2# rod with powerbait doubles over!  I was pretty sure that I had a big trout on as it took me almost 10 minutes to get to the boat...  Trout???  No...

We tried a little loner then tried trolling for nothing.  We cruised over to a spot that I thought might be good for cats.

Joes rod goes cruising along the shoreline with something big on the end of the line!  UGH!  It spits the hook after a few good head shakes!

Last cast and Joe get ripped again!  Big thumps and totally a big cat!  All of a sudden it wraps in something under the overhanging trees.  I pull the anchors and rods and cruise over to try and get it free from the snag.  I could barely see a flash, but it was wrapped around a sunken tree limb about 28 feet down!  Everytime Joe gave it an inch, it took a foot or two and deeper into it's lair.  BOOM, the 50# braid finally gave and we called it the day.

We spent from open to almost close on the lake and it was great to find a use for the Boma again as it was just great having her wet and on the water.  All in all, we lost 2 cats and 4 trout.  On the other hand, we caught 2 cats and 4 trout.  Not a bad day in my book!

Thanks for reading!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
Re: Problem Solving (1/21/17)
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 10:00:55 PM »
Freshwater... isn't that for drinking?
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 06:18:50 AM »
Sat around Wohlford all day for nothing but rain wind and hail. Guess I should have stayed home watching cowboy movies.

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2017, 07:17:47 AM »
Nice haul!
Too bad about the lost monster cat!
How'd they taste?

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2017, 08:29:31 AM »
How'd they taste?

Having a fry tonight.  I like the deep lake and clear water river cats a lot.  It's the stinky pond cats that I'm not crazy about eating.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.