Author Topic: What type of conventional reel do you use?  (Read 5094 times)

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
What type of conventional reel do you use?
« on: February 05, 2017, 09:49:37 PM »
So I need some opinions on your choice of conventional reels. Looking for a reel that has enough line capacity and drag that will handle bats and sharks. What do you use? What are some pros and cons about your reel?

Currently I'm using the Penn Squall 15, but it's line capacity has me worried on those out going tide nights. I love the adjustable mag cast control and the price point.
2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

Fish Jerk

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: What type of conventional reel do you use?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 11:58:07 PM »
I use 2X Penn Fathom 30's. So far I am very happy with them, all aluminum body and 25#'s of drag. On my initial teardown/inspection, I was very pleased with Penn's lube job. The only real Negative I can say, is that they are a very fast spool on a cast. The Centrifugal brakes do not provide enough braking for my satisfaction using all braid as I do. With all braid, you don't have the same margin of error on an overrun as you do with mono. I prefer not to have to use my thumb the whole cast to slow the spool.  I solved this by static magging the reel to add a little more braking. Casting 6+bait requires very little thumb control now other than at splashdown.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 04:29:54 PM »
I use 2X Penn Fathom 30's. So far I am very happy with them, all aluminum body and 25#'s of drag. On my initial teardown/inspection, I was very pleased with Penn's lube job. The only real Negative I can say, is that they are a very fast spool on a cast. The Centrifugal brakes do not provide enough braking for my satisfaction using all braid as I do. With all braid, you don't have the same margin of error on an overrun as you do with mono. I prefer not to have to use my thumb the whole cast to slow the spool.  I solved this by static magging the reel to add a little more braking. Casting 6+bait requires very little thumb control now other than at splashdown.

Can you post some pics and instructions on how you did this? Very curious!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 04:47:36 PM »
I magged some other reels. Liked it. Haven't done my Fathom, but I've thought about it.

It isn't hard Mike. Getting enough but not too much takes a little fiddling, but once you get it how you want it works great.

Oh yeah, Binh, I use a Fathom 40. I think a 30 would be fine, but even when I lose some line, I haven't been afraid of being spooled. I do feel like a little bit smaller spool might let me get a better grip with my thumb on the cast.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 04:50:31 PM by sasquatch »

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 05:21:41 PM »
Keep them coming. I want to hear from as many peeps as possible. Has anyone installed an adjustable mag knob on their penn reels? I see it's pretty popular in the UK
2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

Fish Jerk

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2017, 06:01:47 PM »
Oh yeah, Binh, I use a Fathom 40. I think a 30 would be fine, but even when I lose some line, I haven't been afraid of being spooled. I do feel like a little bit smaller spool might let me get a better grip with my thumb on the cast.
Since I'm using braid, I fit almost 450yds of 65 braid on each. Not too afraid of getting spooled unless it's by something I have no right catching on a 12 foot rod from the beach. I also have a solution to let you get a better grip on the spool. I didn't think I could handle the 40 due to spool size and small hands.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2017, 06:08:19 PM »
Did braid for awhile. Ended up going back to mono. Lost too many fish and too much gear as the braid got shredded. Too bad, I liked the braid. Guess I could go with the long topshot, but I'm using straight mono right now.
 Interested to hear what idea you have as far as grip on the spool. I have tried a section of inner tube on the thumb. Worked fine but I didn't like that it left bits of rubber on the line. Seemed like they were melted on.

Fish Jerk

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2017, 06:39:50 PM »
Same idea as the inner tube, which I too hated the black crap left on the line. I picked up a pack of latex exercise bands. These ones were heavy flat sheets of latex maybe 4"X 4ft long. I cut strips about 3/4 to an inch wide and used these instead of the inner tube piece. Works much better and no marks on the line.

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2017, 08:13:18 PM »
Daiwa Sealine 40

Pros - casts really well; inexpensive. I have almost 300yrds of 65 braid back with about 130yrds 40 mono top, so good line capacity as well.

Cons - I guess the spool assembly wall can fail ...  >:( >:( >:(

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2017, 09:23:22 PM »
Like Steve, I have the Fathom 40. I liked them so much I bought 2. What is there not to like about those reels? 25lbs of drag easy. All metal construction. Fairly light weight. Incredible free spool. Sits low on the rod so it doesn't feel like a 40 sized reel. If only they came magged.

I think I cast fairly well with them, but backlashes are inevitable. I was originally an all mono guy, then tried all braid after so many others do it. A few backlashes later and I do braid backing with typically 100yds or more of mono topshot. Much happier with this configuration.

I'll do some research in regards to magging a reel. Too fearful to "f" with a perfectly good reel until I'm educated enough. Be nice to see a tutorial.

As far as how to keep the spool from slipping, I have used that blue tape (can't remember the name) that's very stretchy and is texturized. I use from time  to time when throwing irons. It helps a little. I found the best thing for me is to keep the hand I use to hold the reel, in my case my left hand, dry as much as possible to aid in anti slipping.

I think Binh wants to see if someone has a magged reel he hasn't heard of yet. Sorry Binh, there isn't too many large and "modern" magged reels out there other than Avet that I know of. I do know of older ones from the 80s and 90s in a 30 and 40 size reel. The hard part is finding one.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 09:29:06 PM by Pinoyfisher »
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2017, 05:37:31 AM »
http://prehistoricsoul.com/forum/index.php?topic=817.0

I did a write up for magging my Torium.  This could be of help.

You can't catch them from your computer chair.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2017, 05:57:33 AM »
Keep them coming. I want to hear from as many peeps as possible. Has anyone installed an adjustable mag knob on their penn reels? I see it's pretty popular in the UK

I installed one on a older Squall 20, I used the reel for droper looping off the beach.  Only drawback was the clicker had to be removed for the system to be installed.  Ended up taking it out and educating my thumb  ;)
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2017, 05:37:03 PM »
Saltist 40 and 50 8)

Chris

• Leopard
  • Put me in coach!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2017, 04:09:42 AM »
Sealine X 50sha. 300yrds 65lb. Braid and 40lb mono topshot. Idk how much but I usually dump it all by the time my rod reaches the holder.
Keep it tight