Author Topic: Ultraskiff Test Run  (Read 5208 times)

j.rasta

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
Ultraskiff Test Run
« on: February 12, 2017, 09:10:46 AM »
Last week my buddy Dre and I were chillin having a few beers and Smokin a blunt when the idea was thrown around to take his ultraskiff out for a little bit and shoot some videos for the owner of the company. I'd never fished off the contraption before so I was curious as to how it would handle. We loaded it up in my lil Yota and set out for south bay. Unloading was fairly painless, after getting it outta the truck and the trolling motor and battery hooked up I was on the water. Tooled around the docks for a few minutes getting the hang of steering and letting Dre get some pics and footage of me on the skiff. Moved around a bit and after about 30mins I told him I'm going to cruz around the harbor a bit and see if I can't get bit. Didn't take long before I had a few lil spottys to hand but nothing photo worthy :/ I cruised over to where Dre was and he got a few lil spottys as well and said he wanted to get a shot of me from a lil further away. So I motored over to where he wanted the shot from and started fishin on a drift. Two casts into the drift I get slammed and I knew instantly when I set the hook it was not a spotty! Line peeled off as the Creed GTs drag sang and the head shakes had the Muse Gold bendin! After a few lil runs I started makin ground on the fish that was starting to come up off the bottom and the tell tale shape and color started to appear from under the skiff. Halibut Dre! Hali! Big one? Good one! Legal!?!? I think so! I started to panic a lil bit as there was no gaff or net, and I was using 8lb line! I kept my cool and let her wear herself out before goin in for the bare handed grab. Took a couple tries but managed to robo grip and pinch jus behind her eyes and flip her onto the skiff! Super stoked I motored over to the dock Dre was on and he took some awesome pics and a video on his bad ass cannon DSLR camera. 1st halibut anyone has caught on film outta the Ultraskiff! 24.5"

Of course I couldn't pass up free halibut, Tinkerbell has been itching to fillet one so I couldn't disappoint her a weekend b4 her bday!

She made short work of it with her new bubba blade! Did a killer job for her 1st time!

Rastafar-gone B)<==*~~~
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 09:13:21 AM by j.rasta »

Sharkinthedark II

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Ultraskiff Test Run
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 01:04:34 PM »
 Nice flattie bro  8) my buddy was going to get me a Bubba knife for Christmas... still waiting... LOL

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 07:43:00 AM »
Whoa, a rasta post!!!! Someone missed us ;) Nice 'but!!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 08:47:14 AM »
Figures Mike like your butt...  I always suspected something about him.   ;D

Nice Flatty boss.  Maybe Dre can get you on the Ultra Skiff pro staff?
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

j.rasta

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 12:16:36 PM »

Posted Sunday... It was raining and I was waiting for tinkerbell to get dressed to go to the zoo ;) figured I better get make sure my profile wasn't deactivated before I win the bat fight!

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 01:51:13 PM »

Posted Sunday... It was raining and I was waiting for tinkerbell to get dressed to go to the zoo ;) figured I better get make sure my profile wasn't deactivated before I win the bat fight!

Lol!!! Where are we meeting up? Gotta get a game plan going for bat fight!! Hit me up.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 09:18:58 AM »
Dang dude nice flat one!! Congrats and good to see a report ....

Is that thing stable enough to stand on and comfortably fight fish? Or is there a learning curve with balance? Curious if you were upright or just sitting down the whole time.

j.rasta

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2017, 06:04:37 AM »
Dang dude nice flat one!! Congrats and good to see a report ....

Is that thing stable enough to stand on and comfortably fight fish? Or is there a learning curve with balance? Curious if you were upright or just sitting down the whole time.

Thanks Dave! Skiff is super stable, it takes a second to get your "bearings". but I was literally catching fish off it minutes after unloading it outta my little yota. It's impossible to tip over, and is way more stable than a yak.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2017, 08:52:26 AM »
How fast are you moving with that little trolling motor?
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

j.rasta

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2017, 06:42:07 PM »
How fast are you moving with that little trolling motor?
I'm no rocket scientist but it weighs about 100lbs in the water and has a 55lb thrust trolling motor so whatever that equates to is top speed lol
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 08:39:13 AM by j.rasta »

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2017, 08:38:33 PM »
I need one of those