Author Topic: Penn 535 Mag2 Review  (Read 4634 times)

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
Penn 535 Mag2 Review
« on: February 17, 2017, 09:48:21 PM »
After much research and polling of guys on this board what conventional reel they use and reading some of the Pros and Cons of the various reels I realized that there were some aspects I knew I wanted in my next reel. The must have for me was Magnetic Cast control, +300 yards of line capacity and around $200. As some of you might know I currently have the Penn Squall 15. This little reel has served me well, I love the cast-ability of this reel and the price point (<$115). The big drawback was the line capacity, I have 50Lb braid backing and 25lb mono top shot on this reel. I would say I have approximately 250 yards of total line on this reel. When I cast this reel out and get it back to my rod holder some nights I might only have 100 yards of line on the reel. (Depending on how far back I have my sand spike planted) I've never been spooled on this reel, but it makes me kinda nervous.  ???

So I was looking at the bigger reels that had magnetic cast control such as the: Abu Blue Yonder 7000, Akios 757 CTM, Abu TSR 6500 and the Penn 535.

I ended up find a good deal on Ebay for a new Penn 535 Mag2 ($125).
Here are the specs on this reel:

Here is the reel side by side with the Penn Squall 15.

Right out of the box the Penn 535 had a great free spool spin. The Mag 2 control seems to have more fine tuned settings compared to the Squall. The clicker is also much loader then the Squall 15. Which was a big problem I've had trying to hear the clicker over the sound of the surf. When I spooled it with 50lb braid I was able to load approximately 300 yards of line by the time it reached the second ring of the spool indicator. I filled the rest of the spool with 30lb mono up to the top. I would say I got about 150 yards.

This reel is basically a Penn Squall 25N with a Mag control. It's not sold in the US for some reason. It has the British flag on the box. (You can see that in the photo above)

I hope to get out soon to see how this reel will cast. I'll post review updates periodically.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 09:50:35 PM by 1morecast »
2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

LONGCAST JOE

• Leopard
    • View Profile
Re: Penn 535 Mag2 Review
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 04:58:44 AM »
Yah, there is a much wider selection of reels, rods, tackle and accessories available in UK, Europe, Australia & Japan than what is put out on the US market from almost every manufacturer in the industry.
Nice find...

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 07:17:32 AM »
Very cool looking reel, Binh!

I'm perplexed though how you guys get away with such light line. I bumped up to 50# as the 40# was breaking off too much when wrapping in the reef. I feel very confident with the 50# mono top shot. 30 would scare me.

Beautiful reel!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

1morecast

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2017, 07:53:37 AM »
The way I see it if your wrapped up in a reef then it's game over. My goal for the main line is for it to with stand a few tail slaps. I feel the thicker line doesn't cast as well and distance is a key factor in hooking up with the right kind.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 08:00:18 AM by 1morecast »
Twenty Three (23)

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2017, 09:33:36 AM »
I've pulled several out of the reef that i don't think would have come out on lighter line. I agree that distance is nice to have. Just not sure where the line is between enough distance and enough reef resistance. The 25 feet of 80 is for the tail slaps and body wraps.

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2017, 10:39:07 AM »
Nice looking reel Binh!
How much drag does it have?

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2017, 11:14:39 AM »
It sure was nice someone to do the research and find you a reel. Can't wait to see it put to the test!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

1morecast

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2017, 06:29:54 PM »
Nice looking reel Binh!
How much drag does it have?

Hey Chad,

I would suspect the max drag would be at 20lbs.
Twenty Three (23)