Author Topic: Team VC SNBF-X 3/11/17  (Read 6677 times)

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Team VC SNBF-X 3/11/17
« on: March 12, 2017, 09:08:21 AM »
Since all the scouting over the last couple months yielded zero bat rays, we were at a loss for were to fish.  The harbor was our best option if we could find some sand, but they started dredging last week.Made the call to hit a beach we know will produce fish and hoped some rays showed up to play.

Dad and I got set up around 10am.  Mark and Ricky showed up later.  We soaked macks and squid all day for nada.  Even tossed the LC and C-rigs with nothing to show for it.  about 4:00 Ron showed up to cheer us on   ;D

Around 5:00 Mark and Ricky had had enough and headed out.  I didn't blame them, and was tempted to follow.  As the beach started clearing of people the tide started to come back in and it started looking really good.  Ron set up to our left and between the three of us we had 5 rods out soaking mackerel.

Around 6:00 Dad gets a good bounce on his pole, but misses it.  A half hour later it happens again.  Somewhere in there Ron got a good run that was dropped also.  About 7:30 my rod takes a bow and line starts peeling off.  I picked it up, get the hook set and it’s off!  Drag burning run that took a bit to get stopped.  Played tug of war for a bit and then as I start to gain some line it heads south.  Starts peeling line again so I crank down my already tight drag some more.  At this point I’m thinking I actually have a decent bat here!  It keeps going and I’m worried it will get into Ron’s line and does end up doing just that but not the close, the far one.  Thankfully it wasn’t bad and Ron got it untangled quick.  I finally turned him and he takes another big run north.  The weight and power is amazing.  This is when I start to feel some tail slaps and realize this is something toothier.  After about 25 minutes he finally comes into the wash and we can see it’s a massive sevengill!  Dad and Ron get him up on the sand so I can get the hook out and measure him.  104” male and he’s fat!  I think Ron was right when he said it must have been all amped up on testosterone because we’ve never seen a 7 fight like that before.  After a couple of pics we drag him back in the water (super heavy!) and he swims off nicely.  So stoked for a new PB!  8)

As I removed the hook Ron pointed out a lower tooth that was exposed and I was able to get myself a souvenir!

As we are talking and I start tying on a new rub leader one of Ron’s rods goes off.  He’ll fill in his pics and story later….

Back down at our spot, I’m still trying to get a new rub leader tied on and my dad’s reel starts screaming!  He gets the hook set and this fish is off to the races.  This fish is hyper and every time my dad would gain some line it took off again.  After about 15 minutes of this it finally gets into the white water and we see an unfamiliar tail surface.  Soupfin!  My dad’s first legit shark and it’s a VC soupie!  I must have grabbed her tail a half a dozen times as I got her beached and she went berserk each time.  This one turned out to be a 65” female and she had been abused recently.  Three separate wounds on her.

I’m so stoked that my dad finally got his first real shark, but pretty jealous he got a Soupfin before me LOL!

We soaked bait for a couple more hours, but being cold and wet and hungry (along with the fact that the parking lot closed an hour ago) we decided to start packing it up.  That’s when my dad gets another reel screamer.  I was a lot closer so I got the hook set and handed it off to him.  But after fighting into the wash it popped off and was gone.  Probably another sevengill.

Got loaded up and stopped at In-N-Out to warm up with some burgers and watch the results of the Bat Fight.  Congratulations Team LA!!!  Ron, good fishing with you again bro, sorry for poaching your spot  ;)

Even after a long batless day, we sure ended on a high note and had a blast!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 12:27:26 PM by xjchad »

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: Team VC SNBF-X 3/12/17
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 09:26:27 AM »
You guys are batfighting wrong. It looks fun. Still looking to break 100" on a seven.

BackBayMan

• Leopard
  • Always lurking...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 09:45:09 AM »
Nice job on the grinners 8)
Anybody have an emergency beer?

Sharkinthedark II

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2017, 10:18:58 AM »
Nice seven gill.. that soupie needs to leave her boyfriend

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2017, 10:54:22 AM »
104 is massive for a male 7. Congrats on the catch and souvenir.

Skimming the list you look to have caught the biggest male by about 10"

Jim
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 11:02:15 AM by spideyjg »

SevengillTheVC

• Leopard
  • I don't always catch fish, but when I do....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2017, 10:56:40 AM »
Those are some weird looking Bat Rays! LOL! Nice going Chad, I've yet to break 100" as well, nice beast!

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Re: Team VC SNBF-X 3/11/17
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2017, 01:17:47 PM »
Nice chad 8)

You won in my book, I'll take that 7 all day over the winning bat.

We gotta meet up soon.

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2017, 01:22:09 PM »
Wow Chad 104" ... super cool. Man that shark is thick. Congrats!

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2017, 01:26:55 PM »
This is one weird looking bat.  ;)

Congrats..Chad.

2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

Mateo

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2017, 01:53:46 PM »
That's a epic night! Looks super fun chad!

j.rasta

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2017, 04:34:30 PM »
Epic night chad! Congrats on the PB! I'd take that over winning the bat fight ;) Your pop's did it right, got my 1st soup before my 1st 7, soups are way better fight for the size ;D

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2017, 04:59:31 PM »
I'm suspecting that you were really trying for grinners and using the veil of Bats to cover your motives!  lol

Congrats Chad and Dad!  Those are two quality grinners and greatly worthy of the list!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2017, 09:49:50 AM »
Thanks guys!  I'm always in awe of these animals and I'm so glad to have found this site and big game shore fishing!

LONGCAST JOE

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2017, 10:17:22 AM »
Nice one Chad, 100"+ is always in the Wow catagory. Me and you got to get one of these VC soupies sooner than later.
JOE

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2017, 11:10:28 AM »
Nice one Chad, 100"+ is always in the Wow catagory. Me and you got to get one of these VC soupies sooner than later.
JOE

We definitely need to get one of those soups while there are showing here!!