Author Topic: I'd like to get my first soup & 7!  (Read 3131 times)

Gage949

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
I'd like to get my first soup & 7!
« on: March 16, 2017, 11:18:26 PM »
Hey guys,
   Long time Mud Marlin angler here from OC. I've been itching to pop my soupfin and sevengill cherry but admittedly have no idea where to fish. I don't need your secret honey hole but if someone could point me in the direction of a decent spot to help a fellow Prehistoric Soul lurked out I'd greatly appreciate it!

Any tips would be appreciated really!

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Re: I'd like to get my first soup & 7!
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 11:51:32 PM »
Hey man, welcome to the forum!
I'm not familiar with the OC at all so I can't help with any spots. The best thing to do is be active and get the know some of the guys in your area. This is a great group of guys that have taught me a lot and are always willing to help. One thing I was told when is started was to use Google earth to study the coast line and look for promising areas. Structure, deep areas, etc. then just get out there and soak some bait! :D  There's tons of great info here to read as well!
Good luck!  Look forward to your reports!

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 11:15:54 AM »
Hey man, welcome to the forum!
I'm not familiar with the OC at all so I can't help with any spots. The best thing to do is be active and get the know some of the guys in your area. This is a great group of guys that have taught me a lot and are always willing to help. One thing I was told when is started was to use Google earth to study the coast line and look for promising areas. Structure, deep areas, etc. then just get out there and soak some bait! :D  There's tons of great info here to read as well!
Good luck!  Look forward to your reports!

All of the above! Google earth is your best friend. Find structure and toss some big baits to it. Time on the sand...
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 07:38:06 PM »
I'll hit you up tomorrow. Riggin up to go bass fishing now.

Gage949

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 09:16:35 PM »
Thanks guys!

When I'm looking at satalite images what should I be looking for when you say "structure"?

SevengillTheVC

• Leopard
  • I don't always catch fish, but when I do....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2017, 11:19:09 PM »
Again I cannot help with any locations in OC, but as far as the sharking scene goes, well by the list I don't see anything but whites coming from there, and that is with specialized techniques. As far as the structure goes I know many here look for nearby to shore reefs, I tend to just look for beaches that have very steep drop offs. Of course a nearby reef helps but I think it maximizes chances for success to make sure that the fish are gonna have plenty of water to not only swim in but lurk in and hunt. That is what they're doing when they're shallow, they're hunting, but when they happen across your bait they have hit the jackpot and have an easy meal. I've found in most of my shark spots that many beaches that yield lots of big sharks are also really hard to produce smaller fish, probably for obvious reasons. Good luck to you man, but time on the sand is the best suggestion. If you were in VC I could put you on some, I've done it for a lot of the members, but you are rather far! Good luck dude!

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2017, 05:34:24 AM »
Thanks guys!

When I'm looking at satalite images what should I be looking for when you say "structure"?

Here's an example of an area I'd be interested in fishing based off of what I see from Google Earth. Good structure to the north and south with an inlet in between.

Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Gage949

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2017, 04:18:06 PM »
^^^ Thanks!

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
    • Ben Cantrell's fish species blog
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2017, 02:15:32 PM »
Good luck!  I have these guys to thank for my first soupfin last year.  :D

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2017, 10:43:41 AM »
Damnit Mike, you blew the spot  :P :P :P :P

LONGCAST JOE

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2017, 06:04:26 PM »
Near the edges of some of the MLPA's is seeming to get more and more productive.

BackBayMan

• Leopard
  • Always lurking...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2017, 09:24:21 AM »
Gage you silly boy, we don't have any 7's or Soupies in The OC!

What we do have is something that is eating/scaring them all off ;D

We need to hook up with some macs. Whole macs 8)

Then you're going to need to overspool your spinning gear and maybe drop to 50lb braid so we can drop you 120+ yards off the beach. Maybe look into getting a conventional so we can get you 300+ yards out ;D

I've got to go to Washing DC next week, but when I get back I'll be looking to increase the numbers of The OC Airforce again ;D
Anybody have an emergency beer?