Author Topic: Leader Prep?  (Read 6667 times)

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Leader Prep?
« on: March 27, 2017, 09:25:48 PM »
Do you make up your wire rigs at home? Or on the beach as needed?

I make 5-10 at a time at home and replace as needed.

Sounds like some of you make them as you go.

Let's hear it.

LONGCAST JOE

• Leopard
    • View Profile
Re: Leader Prep?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 12:02:19 AM »
You talking about me?...Ya, I usually tie a few up before each session, either at home before I leave or in the back of my truck before I hit the sand. I've gotten the routine down so I can whip out a couple pulley rigs in 5 minutes...

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 05:57:19 AM »
Speaking of tying rigs.  I just realized that I only have a couple tied up and need to get on it.  I try to make 30 at a time as it gets pretty quick and easy by the last half.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 08:27:17 AM »
I have 6-10 premade and keep them in this folder I got at Bass Pro.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 10:06:15 AM »
You talking about me?...Ya, I usually tie a few up before each session, either at home before I leave or in the back of my truck before I hit the sand. I've gotten the routine down so I can whip out a couple pulley rigs in 5 minutes...

Sort of? Posts by other people have made me curious too. You were the immediate influence.

I tie my rigs up at home for shark fishing. Other fishing I usually tie as I go.

Chris

• Leopard
  • Put me in coach!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2017, 01:07:19 PM »
I usually have 3 for each rod I bring ready to go. That doesn't mean I always take them with me to the sand though... :-[
Keep it tight

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2017, 02:15:58 PM »
I tie about a dozen at a time and usually pack 6 for each session. I like what Chad has for his rigs. May have to cop that.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Fish Jerk

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2017, 06:45:46 PM »
Wire rigs are premade at home. I take about 5-6 to the beach with me. If I fished a more reefy area, I'd carry more  I haven't  lost a shark rig in 2 years. For storage, I bought a pack of 6x6 6mil heavy duty ziplock bags. They're the perfect size for a coiled up leader and fit in the back pocket of my tackle bag. After every trip, I run the leaders under warm water and hang them to dry over night, then repack.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2017, 09:47:49 AM »
At the beach, but then again........................I've only caught one legit shark   ::)
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2017, 12:07:45 PM »
Wire rigs are premade at home. I take about 5-6 to the beach with me. If I fished a more reefy area, I'd carry more  I haven't  lost a shark rig in 2 years. For storage, I bought a pack of 6x6 6mil heavy duty ziplock bags. They're the perfect size for a coiled up leader and fit in the back pocket of my tackle bag. After every trip, I run the leaders under warm water and hang them to dry over night, then repack.

No lost rig in two years? Wow. 2-3 rigs in a night isn't uncommon at some spots. Think Tom has the record with 5 in a night.

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2017, 01:00:17 PM »
I pre make mine. Last thing I would want is to sit on the beach crimping wires. I know me I would spill the sleeves or get my crimper doused in salt water.

For fresh I tie as I  go except the hair rigs for carp.

Jim

LONGCAST JOE

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2017, 07:33:16 PM »
I usually have 3 for each rod I bring ready to go. That doesn't mean I always take them with me to the sand though... :-[
Just curious Chris, and I've picked up alot of great insight from your posts over the years...so let me ask you, when you say rigs for each rod?.... I understand if you mean one for the perch rod and one for the bat ray rod, that's obvious, but I think your talking about set ups closer to each other in power. What/how do you tie up that makes that rig for that rod and not for the other rod. Sinker weight is obvious, but what else about one your rigs makes it for a specified rod. Maybe I'm over analyzing your statement... ??? :-\   

Fish Jerk

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2017, 08:07:24 PM »
Just curious Chris, and I've picked up alot of great insight from your posts over the years...so let me ask you, when you say rigs for each rod?.... I understand if you mean one for the perch rod and one for the bat ray rod, that's obvious, but I think your talking about set ups closer to each other in power. What/how do you tie up that makes that rig for that rod and not for the other rod. Sinker weight is obvious, but what else about one your rigs makes it for a specified rod. Maybe I'm over analyzing your statement... ??? :-\

I think Chris does what I do. (Correct me if I'm wrong) Since I usually fish 2 shark rods, I usually bring 2-4 rigs per rod I plan on fishing. In my case, 6-8 rigs total. This covers me against breakoff's or bite offs. If I was using a shark rod and bait rod, I'd bring 3-4 shark leaders and maybe 3-4 hi-lo rigs for the bait rod.

Chris

• Leopard
  • Put me in coach!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2017, 08:16:55 PM »
What fish jerk said but lately I've just been using my old wire fish finder rig with 30lb set ups throwing 5 and bait. When I take out my heavier ulua style Rods to fish heavy structure I'll use a pulley rig with 7-8 and bait since the bigger chunks fly better buttoned down. I also have heavy mono rigs I throw on my 20lb surf rod since the mono rigs throw better with the lighter 3oz/bait (usually squid) and bats and Leo's don't bite through 80lb mono. You could use 135lb coated cable but I only use 210 coated wire or 80-100lb mono now because I had so many instances of the 135 coming back knotted up or coiled like a spring after catching a decent fish.

But yes, if I bring one shark rod I like to have 3 extra rigs in my pocket, 2 Rods, 6 rigs. I haven't ran 3 and don't plan to but I think 6 would cover 3 since if I broke one off I have 2 Rods to soak.

Also, I can cast a 7ft pulley rig just fine on my 13ft Rods but need to shorten them a bit for my 11'6" and 12' so I would pack accordingly. I've also found that circle hooks work well on all my Rods which range from all glass, composite and all graphite but if I use J's I get better lip hooks with graphite Rods and deep hooks with solid glass.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 08:21:22 PM by Chris »
Keep it tight

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2017, 12:20:37 AM »
Question for the guys who fish 2 shark rods, are you doing this only with another person or do you also do it solo?
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)