Author Topic: Hybrid striped bass from shore  (Read 2956 times)

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
    • Ben Cantrell's fish species blog
Hybrid striped bass from shore
« on: April 02, 2017, 10:55:05 AM »
Made it out yesterday to the Clinton Lake spillway for my first local fishing trip of 2017.  Was hoping for a fair hooked gizzard shad for my lifelist, but the only one I caught was snagged in the side.  Been trying to get one of these hooked in the mouth for seven years!

Since the shad weren't biting, I switched to a heavy inline spinner.  I had to clean algae off it after every cast, but eventually I got a solid hit from a hybrid striped bass.  I've caught a few over the years, but I had never photographed one.  Was glad to get a nice example of one showing the broken stripes.

Snagged a silver carp that nearly spooled me, but I didn't take a photo of it.  Several hours went by without a fish, and then I got a good THUMP and had a short but spirited fight with this guy.  7.5 lbs on 6 lb line!

I had been there for quite a while, so I opted to end on a high note and leave right after catching the second fish.  A buddy invited me over to have tacos for dinner, and I volunteered my catch to have them be fish tacos.  I only cooked up half the fish and it easily fed five people.  Those tacos were good!

LONGCAST JOE

• Leopard
    • View Profile
Re: Hybrid striped bass from shore
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 01:37:59 PM »
On the 6lb test, impressive. Ive always used that as a the impressive benchmark to myself, when the fish weight is more than the pound test rating of the line or leader, I'm impressed. I realize a fish weighs about zero in the water so the correlation is flawed but still....
JOE
PS: how's the so cal employment offer lookin ?

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2017, 02:49:28 PM »
That's a chunky fish!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2017, 06:58:12 PM »
PS: how's the so cal employment offer lookin ?

Still waiting to hear back.  I think I was the first person they interviewed, so it might be a while.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 05:55:57 AM »
Beautiful Hybrid!  I caught an 11 pounder many many moons ago back in PA and that thing kicked my butt on the 8#.  That is a VERY impressive catch boss!  Beautiful!

(What, are you too good now than to take any pics of silver carp!?!?  LOLOLOLOL)
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2017, 07:16:34 AM »
Haha, in Illinois you're asking for abuse if you post pics of yourself proudly holding up an Asian carp.  I posted the silver carp photo below on facebook last year and had a bunch of guys jump on me for releasing it.  They called the DNR and reported me (nothing came of it).