Author Topic: GEMINI SPUTNIK TYPE SINKERS  (Read 5875 times)

LONGCAST JOE

• Leopard
    • View Profile
GEMINI SPUTNIK TYPE SINKERS
« on: April 07, 2017, 10:02:12 AM »
I know Wilbur is a good guy and ships his sinkers within hours to us but this place on ebay has some good deals on Gemini Breakout & Splashdown grip sinkers at the moment in the 6 to 8oz range. They have the 6oz Splashdowns that have a built in bait release clip too, for $2.80 each....Breakouts are 6oz - $2.56 each,.... 7 oz. $2.72 each,......8oz - $2.88 each....They all come 10 per lot, free freight. I just ordered 40 total in 6oz,7oz &  8oz  ;)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-oz-10-pcs-Gemini-Breakout-Sinkers-Surf-Sputnik-Sinker-Spider-Weights-/222325018366?hash=item33c39a8efe:g:y50AAOSwgZ1Xt8hv
Move this if I put it in the wrong catagory

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: GEMINI SPUTNIK TYPE SINKERS
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 10:21:40 AM »
Never used those. Good price though.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 09:29:03 PM »
I have some, they seem to work as well as the one Wilbur sells. Funny, Josh was just giving me sh!t last night for using them. Typical.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 06:53:34 AM »
Good price indeed. 

I'll still use Wilbur since he also customizes them if interested and has been spot on for us.  Besides, they look too fancy.  Kind of looks like a hipster sinker

Funny, Josh was just giving me sh!t last night for using them. Typical.

"I now pronounce you man and ....."  LOL
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2017, 08:57:44 AM »
Might try a batch with the bait clip just to check out the system. Maybe s few extra yards on s cast?

Concerns I have are sand/rocks eroding the plastic that holds the legs, and whether the legs might get bent in such a way that they won't fit in the slot properly.

SevengillTheVC

• Leopard
  • I don't always catch fish, but when I do....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2017, 02:31:57 PM »
Sharpen the legs and maybe you can just snag something :D!

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 03:03:26 PM »
Sputnik ... Gemini .... Steve needs to come up with his own Apollo version to sell here ... ;)

LONGCAST JOE

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 09:46:32 AM »
Might try a batch with the bait clip just to check out the system. Maybe s few extra yards on s cast?

Concerns I have are sand/rocks eroding the plastic that holds the legs, and whether the legs might get bent in such a way that they won't fit in the slot properly.

OK, here's my first impression/report on these after receiving and using them a couple of times...

The seller is a fairly new ebayer, took him 6 days after I placed the order to get them shipped and in the mail, not the same day or next morning like Wilbur always has done on my orders.

I ordered 2- 10 packs of 6 oz & 1-10 pack of 8oz....only received one 10 pack of the 6oz. Had to contact seller but he apologized for the mistake and has sent out the 10 pack I was shorted.

The splash-downs make it easy to clip down your bait on a standard 3-way rig without any modifications to the rig (except adding a mono loop to the hook eye if you cover the wire loop with shrink tubing)

They are much easier to store and transport the way the legs fold up compactly when disengaged .

They legs seem to take more force to break away and collapse then sputniks but the before collapse holding power is not as much as the legs are somewhat shorter and thinner gauge then sputnicks. Each leg also is independent so the opposite leg doesn't always collapse with it.

Still too soon for their longevity aspects to be determined.

If a 6oz sputnik and a 6oz Gemini both were $3 each and all else equal I'd take the Sputnik...but...at $5 for the sputnik plus another $2 for an in-line bait clip needed to be added to a sputnik to match whats included with the Gemini splash downs...hmmmm. I'll probably have both in my tackle box for a while until a personal preference gets more developed

This is not a new product, Gemini has been the standard brand/style grip sinker used in the UK for many years, some guy in the US just decided to buy the kits they sell and start pouring/selling them.   

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2017, 11:17:19 AM »
Thanks, Joe, for the review. Haven't pulled the trigger, but I am curious if the bait clip would help distance. If the sacrifice is holding power, I'm not sure it is a gain. Maybe the leg release tension could be adjusted if needed.

Fish Jerk

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2017, 11:25:24 AM »
Leg tension can be adjusted by pinching or spreading the U part of the leg that snaps into the plastic cap. May not make sense unless you have had one in your hand. If you wanted to you can order replacement caps and legs from over seas and replace them if they get worn it damaged by rocks and sand. They also have sets with longer legs.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2017, 11:29:55 AM »
Well, they are on the list of things to order when I get to it.

LONGCAST JOE

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2017, 03:11:22 PM »
If you wanted to you can order replacement caps and legs from over seas and replace them if they get worn it damaged by rocks and sand. They also have sets with longer legs.
If I get to use the same sinker long enough for the plastic to get worn down on it before I lose it, I'll mount it on my wall as a trophy and engrave it.... "My most cast sinker that has not been lost"...
I'd estimate the average number of casts I make per sinker before it breaks off somehow is around 10...Some on the first cast , others maybe last 20 casts, but average probably 10 casts I'd guess...
Did you say you havn't lost a sinker in 2 years Ron??

Fish Jerk

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2017, 08:54:46 PM »
Yep that's correct. Didn't loose any last year and so far none this year either. But I also don't chase grinners year round either but I have probably made 50-60 cast with each rod this year with no losses. Plus our VC spot has very little rock structure.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2017, 03:20:26 PM »
I have ordered the Gemini types 2x. They were a few dollars cheaper and I got a couple more sinkers. I too like that they fold down nicely for transportation. Haven't seen a difference with their holding ability.

I have utilized the clip down feature and I'm not sure I got more distance from them as I can't see where my rig lands in the dark after a cast. In theory, you should get more distance as the clip is supposed keep every thing more streamlined and not allow it to "helicopter". 
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 10:32:24 AM by Pinoyfisher »
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)