Author Topic: Hot Start - Cold Center - Steaming Finish! (12/6)  (Read 17344 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Hot Start - Cold Center - Steaming Finish! (12/6)
« on: December 06, 2014, 07:01:56 PM »
Just like the title says...

We were going out the inlet when the bonito started blowing up everywhere!  Our plans were to get to the hunting grounds early, but how do you pass biting fish like this?

I caught a couple of great macks and Steve got a beautiful Bonito.  His Bonito was just at the border of "Too Big for Shark Bait", but should make a worthy bait for a surf Seven-Gill.

We caught all the bait we needed even before clearing the inlet.  We got out front to see an entirely different scene... Dirty water with no bait around. 

We made our way out to some great fishing grounds and begun looking for some great table fare.

We both hooked up with some MONSTER rockfish to just get swiped by this giant bull Sea Lion that was not leaving us alone!  Seriously, These last few weeks of losing rockfish has been a first for me as they usually don't mess with them.  Steve and I both lost some REALLY BIG fish to this f@cker!

The only fish we managed to boat was a nice female goat that we only got in because the Sea Dawg was eating Steve's big ass rockfish and couldn't get over in time to steal my fish!

We took off to relieve ourselves of stress from this bastard fur bag.  We caught a few tiny rockfish before heading back to exact some revenge on the denizens of the deep!

God, really small!

A healed one... and maybe a new species on my list.  I have to check to make sure.

I dropped down a mackerel and got HAMMERED!  I think it was a big yellow, but now think it was a big ling cod because it rocked me after a few minutes of give and take before screaming a tight drag into the rocks! Ughhhh, how depressing.  I lost over 2 pounds of lead at this point to fish/sea lions.

Things got really slow and we made a few moves before finding where the fish have been hiding!  It was a perfect way to end the session with lots of quality fish!

We found where the Sculpin lived!  Too bad we had to throw them all back due to the closure, but we caught a dozen really nice ones!

In the middle of the Scorpionfish Chaos, I got a big hit!  It wound up being my biggest local red ever!  I may have caught some bigger in Mex, but not in our local inshore waters!  I was STOKED!

The carnage continued... with the coppers especially.

Steve hooked up into something that fought back!  He got his first local Lingcod!  He was stoked on the catch.  8)

Steve got walloped again after another move for a big Salmon Grouper.

Did I say the huge sculpin were everywhere?

We started STRONG... Had a weak middle part with a lot of that due to the Sea Lions, but finished strong with some really nice fish!

Hell, we didn't get the ghosts we were after, but managed a pretty damn goor half-day trip for the both of us.

Until the next trip, get out there and have some fishing fun!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: Hot Start - Cold Center - Steaming Finish! (12/6)
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 07:15:26 PM »
Sculpin King right here. Another fun day on the water. You never know what the day will bring. It started off with a bang then fizzled out. Thankfully it finished with a bang as well.

Funny thing about the day was running into two different PS members. One in the morning and one at the end of the day.

Thanks, as always, for the boat ride.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2014, 07:19:17 PM »
Sculpin King right here. Another fun day on the water. You never know what the day will bring. It started off with a bang then fizzled out. Thankfully it finished with a bang as well.

Funny thing about the day was running into two different PS members. One in the morning and one at the end of the day.

Thanks, as always, for the boat ride.

I forgot about that.  Skrilla (Len) first thing and Dave (WheresMyBeer) when we were coming back.  Pretty funny stuff!

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2014, 07:45:56 PM »
Geez guys. The write up was way better than the 'in-person' details ...  ;D ;D

Looks like a lot of fun out there. Great conditions.

You squeezed the sh!t out of that goat LOL ...

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2014, 09:31:34 PM »
Told you guys to have a good one. Didn't think you'd take it so seriously.  ;D

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2014, 10:27:31 PM »
Good eats there!!!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

j.rasta

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2014, 08:50:52 AM »
Nice job in the big water guys. Too bad about the fur bags swiping your fish, they seem to have the coordinates GPS for the boma :/

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2014, 10:03:34 AM »
Yeah, sorry Dave.  I was in a ton of pain because of my shoulder bursitis and just wanted to rest it.  We ended up having a pretty good day after all, especially seeing all the life in the bay when we were heading out.

Thanks guys, we had a 10 or 11 species day out there so the variety was really nice.

faster u fool

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2014, 09:15:59 AM »
Thats awesome. 8) big local bottom feeders..but those seals are out of control >:( :o
GET OUT AND GET BIT..