Author Topic: A Curmudgeon on the Curmudgeon (5/21)  (Read 1985 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
A Curmudgeon on the Curmudgeon (5/21)
« on: May 22, 2017, 06:49:05 AM »
Well, Roger backed out on me and Dave (a curmudgeon) decided to make his first trip in the ocean on a little boat (the Curmudgeon) in almost a decade.  He would never come out on the Boma since it didn't have a "Pointy End", but I was surprised  when he said he'd go.

The morning started well.

Conditions were a little bumpy with swells and wind from 3 different directions, but the wind quickly died after the first hour or so.  We metered some great marks in the water column, but was not able to hook up.  We finally looked up and saw a 3' mako swimming next to the boat.  Neither one of us were in the mood to dealing with a little chainsaw, so we just watched him meander around the boat. 

From the size and location of some of the marks on the fish finder, I'm thinking I metered some yellows and maybe a thresher from the crazy huge sonar ping I got back.  Needless to say, we decided to just stock up on rockfish and keep our eyes out for other opportunities.

We wre all by our lonesome, but people inshore started to run out to fish with us and people fishing offshore were running in to fish with us.  I think Dave and I saw one or two fish caught, so we were doing well.

I think I started with the first 7 or 8 BIG Starries before Have got on the board.  The biggest was 1.91 pounds and I got 6 over 1.5 pounds, so they were some pretty nice models.

I liked teasing him out of the corner of his eye...

Dave brought the big stick. Hook Up!

A little overkill, but he scored the JP Red.

I couldn't shake the Starries.

The wind picked up and we had a bird land on Dave's rod.  It then landed on his hand, but flew off before i could take a picture.

We ran inshore to fish some inshore rockfish and found the rest of out limits.  All the rockfish were stuffed with tuna crab.

Final count, 20 rockfish for two. (I also got a tiny Sculpin as the kicker over Dave since he started catching up after his slow start)  lol

Thanks for reading and I hope the pelagics come in soon.  I could use some tasty gamefish to grill up although those rockfish are tasty little critters!

-Until next tide!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Re: A Curmudgeon on the Curmudgeon (5/21)
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 07:00:01 PM »
Tacos at Toms place! :D

Got a laugh out of how you were teasing your buddy with the fish ;D

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 12:51:01 AM »
Rock fish are tasty!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 05:54:03 AM »
I'm super glad you got a boat you ain't fighting all the time Tom.....................have fun
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect