Author Topic: Resetting The Cranium (6/10)  (Read 4160 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Resetting The Cranium (6/10)
« on: June 11, 2017, 09:17:47 AM »
I've been having a rough time with co-workers, family and friends lately.  Little jabs or normal things that I could usually blow off are getting to me lately.  Only way to help reset the mind was to go out and let some salt air blow it all away in the wind.  Unfortunately, that was literally what happened as the marine forecasters sh!t the bed once again!!!!

The marine forecast called for 2-3' swells with 2' or less wind waves and light and variable winds for inshore waters.  It was more like 4-7' swells with 3-4' wind wave washing machine conditions!!!  WTF!?!?  Many big boats stayed in, but not me.  I was the idiot that took a flats boat into that washing machine.  The guys who got out all had boats that could handle those seas since they were made for that and even they were complaining on the radio that conditions sucked.

I worked a stretch from OB to MB and caught a few dozen mackerel and a dozen or so herring and sardine.   I figured it was a success since I had plenty of shark bait now, but soon would realize, it was going to be shark bait for the boat. (I really needed to take some video as the pictures are nowhere close to the reality of the seas)  I even wore my life vest the ENTIRE time while I was out there including while fishing as I was sure I was going to go overboard at times.  I was taking some breakers over the bow, which to say the least, is not a good thing.  Any more weight on the boat and I would have never made it out the inlet without a bigger motor.

I was ready to call it quits early when I pulled up this....  My eyes lit up like saucers since I know what this means.

This got me fired up to keep looking.  I got a halibut bite, but it raked the back of the mackerel and never got to the hook.  I was drifting pretty damn fast, so it never gave him a shot to suck it in.

I then hook into a definite halibut and eased him up the best I could.  It was hard to fight a fish with a life vest on, but I was not taking it off.  I got it to the surface and it was a 20# class halibut!  As I was reaching over to take the cork off my gaff, he realized he was at the surface and ran straight don! On the run, I felt a pop and slack.  I reeled up and the hook was there and everything.... It just pulled the hook....   >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

I decided to make some longer drifts and found a fishy bottom.  It was short drift after short drift after that and I was getting slammed on each drift before finally hooking up.  I was sure it was a big Black Sea Bass as it was kicking my ass on the 60# rig and I could not get it up.  Then my lines snips!  WTF!  I had a clean angled snip in the 80# leader material.  Truth be told, it looked very sharky.

I went through 2/3 of my mackerel (since all the dine and herring died) just getting slammed and losing fish every drift.  I tried tying on a stinger rig and this is what happened the second I hit the bottom.

I went though all of my great shark baits, but soon thought of Jim's soupie from the boat a few days ago.  I'm pretty sure it was a pack of soupies as I would get slammed fast and they would spit it or take off like a bat out of hell.  I finally got a mack up that hit the bottom for 5 seconds before being grabbed and spit out.  You can see the tell tale shark teeth puncture marks which look like the puncturing teeth of a smaller soupie or very possibly spiny dogfish. 

I went through every last bait and failed every time to catch anything.  The damn things would not take a dead bait either as I tried a few times. (I wanted to filet a mack and put that over, but refused to do so since I was affraid I'd cut a finger off in those sloppy seas.)

Good thing I called it quits also since the wind started howling and made the inlet a horrible mess.  The swells were almost stopping my boat in its track just trying to enter the inlet as the tide was rushing out.... I need a bigger motor....

I came home with nothing as the sharks got all of my baits and I never got anything on the deck.

Well, it gave me hope and I found a few other legit fishing spots for my sonar.  It cleared the head also, but would have done much better if I got that halibut on the deck.  In any case, I found what the MAX limit on my boat is and hope not to go out in slop like that ever again.  I want some flat, calm SoCal seas!
Oh well, until next tide!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
Re: Resetting The Cranium (6/10)
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 09:30:23 AM »
Yep, well that trip apparently didn't work to reset my head.  I'm trying to get the shark list done and my wife kept coming in to tell me little stuff and it was just bugging me.  Goose Frabba - Goose Frabba...  (Sorry for the rants, but it's easier to use this as a sounding board than talking someone's ear off)
I might need to go on a walkabout soon.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 09:35:17 AM »
Figured you stayed at home due to weather. Guess not. Sounds like a fun but nerve wracking trip.

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2017, 10:55:03 AM »
Sorry to hear it was a hair graying trip. The marine forecast has a big fudge factor. :( I think I'll load a few shark rigs in the boat just in case.

Mine was lucky but also perhaps the 6/0 circle hook on that snap swivel helped since he was hooked right in the corner.

Jim

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 01:22:49 PM »
Soupies love the squid beds! Surprised none of us use squid once in a while for them.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2017, 02:50:55 PM »
Glad your boat pulled through the grumpy seas.

Now knowing what your boat can handle makes the trip well worth it.

Those outings that are more frustration that pleasure will always show from time to time.

I'm sure the next one will be more pleasant 8)

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2017, 05:02:55 AM »
Still got visions of you in a life jacket hanging on for dear life Tom, sounds scary to me.  Hope you feel better, life's too short...................Verne
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2017, 01:28:30 PM »
Hey at least you have functional boat again.  A year ago at this time you were still trying to figure out what was wrong with the motor on the Buma.
2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

Chris

• Leopard
  • Put me in coach!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2017, 07:29:42 AM »
Did you see any squid? We saw a lot of them a couple weeks ago while kayaking baits out. They'd come right to the yak when we shined our headlamps in the water and they were big unlike most market squid. Between those, the needle fish, grunion and flying fish I'm surprised anything ate our baits.
Keep it tight

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2017, 08:57:30 AM »
Hey at least you have functional boat again.  A year ago at this time you were still trying to figure out what was wrong with the motor on the Buma.

Speaking of the Boma, ever find out what was wrong with it?
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2017, 09:08:03 AM »

Speaking of the Boma, ever find out what was wrong with it?

Nope and don't care to know.  She has a good home now.

faster u fool

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2017, 03:09:42 PM »
ahhhhrrrggghh.  ive been using WINDY app.  seems to be pretty good with getting the weather right.
GET OUT AND GET BIT..

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2017, 09:30:46 AM »
Mid life chronicles of a die hard fisherman !