Author Topic: A Night of 1sts (06-26-17)  (Read 2154 times)

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
A Night of 1sts (06-26-17)
« on: June 27, 2017, 02:13:36 AM »
Took my nephew Noah out for his 2nd surf sesh. Tried something completely different and hit up Naked Pushups. Baits in the water by 9pm. Since he's only used a spinner just a few times, I was going to do all the casting. Gave him the run down on what to look for as far as bites and how to fight a fish.

We had 2 quick grinner bites. Lots of drag taken, but both hooks were shook free. Great sign! Rebait and was quickly punished with a big surf bat. Noah got to see his 1st bat ray. Took me about 10-15mins to bring. She was a brute at 54"!! My back hated every second of it!

Toss out another mack and I was starting to tell him how cool it'd be if we had a double hook up. And just like that, his rod goes full bendo! He was obviously following instructions earlier because he did everything right. I just walked over and checked his drag and he was on his 1st grinner. I get ready to coach and do my best sand hand duties when my drag goes screaming. Double hook up!! Lol!! Mine took me south and I wa worried I couldn't be there to coach Noah up. I button down the drag to make quick work of it. I turn around to see a cute little 64" 7gill flopping around in the skinny. I tell him to grab his leader and drag it up.  I got lucky as mine got thrown onto the beach by a bigger set. The fight lasted all of 2-3mins, but was she ever green! Can't remember the last time I've seen a shark so pissed off.

Noah's 1st 64" male 7gill

And he got to see a 66" female soupfih in person for the 1st time.

The high hasn't peaked yet and he wasn't tired so out went a couple more macks. Then was another 1st for him, grunion.

Not a huge amount, but was glad to see them. Nothing like fresh chum in the water. I was the hot stick tonight as I sent the hook home in another grinner. This one was angry and I dare not button down the drag on it. It wa kind enough to stay right in front of me and going airborne for Noah. His 1st glimpse of a soupie doing flips. 3 to be precise. I slide her up in the skinny and marvel at her girthyness.

She was a chunky 69". Set her and try to get another before we head home as midnight was just a few minutes away. I put his rod away as he decides it's time to chase grunion. I send out the last mack for the night and begin to pack up. A few minutes later I see a thump and slack line. Quickly take in the slack and set the hook. Decent head shakes, but can tell this one is on the small side. Not much of a fight, but it's legit. 66" female 7gill for my 1st three grinner night!

Tide was just starting to peak, but it was time to go get some sleep. It only took me years to get a grinner and I put him on one in his 2nd trip. Must be nice...
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: A Night of 1sts (06-26-17)
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 04:39:26 AM »
Awesome.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 05:43:27 AM »
Wow, you took it literal when you said you were going to pass Steve up soon!  lol

Great catching there Mike!  That kicks you up in the list a notch or two!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

lightline21

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 09:25:17 AM »
Congrats, on a great night of fishing.

LONGCAST JOE

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 10:13:55 AM »
Awesome night Mike!
 Isn't it great when you take someone else out and your hot?
7, soup and bat on the same stick in a night? not done by many folks...
I love your line "punished by a big surf bat" ;D ;D
JOE

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2017, 10:33:17 AM »
Nice going Mike, what a great outing!!!!

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2017, 10:46:05 AM »
Sweet, multi-shark night doesn't come around that often. I need to put some more time on the sand! ;)
2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2017, 12:40:34 PM »
Absolutely awesome, many congrats......................V
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2017, 06:54:50 AM »
Very cool, Mike 8) And your nephew had a great time as well 8) 8)