Author Topic: Help a New Guy With Gear  (Read 2594 times)

Shubs

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
Help a New Guy With Gear
« on: July 09, 2017, 09:30:39 PM »
 Hello, I wanted to get into catching sharks from the beach since I caught a small Leo a few months ago. I was hoping people could help me with some questions I have.

I need to know how long of a leader people are running, and where I can buy wire. I also want to know how far should I cast. Should I try to get my bait past the breakers, or close to the shore? Also, what is the best way to get a hook out of a sharks mouth? I kind of like my hands. And would a penn Jigmaster filled with 150 yards of 50 pound braid, and about 300 yards of forty pound braid on a twelve foot rod be sufficient for this kind of fishing?

Thanks I hope you will help me with my questions.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Re: Help a New Guy With Gear
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 08:15:29 AM »
Hello, I wanted to get into catching sharks from the beach since I caught a small Leo a few months ago. I was hoping people could help me with some questions I have.

I need to know how long of a leader people are running, and where I can buy wire. I also want to know how far should I cast. Should I try to get my bait past the breakers, or close to the shore? Also, what is the best way to get a hook out of a sharks mouth? I kind of like my hands. And would a penn Jigmaster filled with 150 yards of 50 pound braid, and about 300 yards of forty pound braid on a twelve foot rod be sufficient for this kind of fishing?

Thanks I hope you will help me with my questions.

"how long of a leader people are running, and where I can buy wire": I usually run a 2-3 foot leader and usually buy my steel leader on ebay.  You can still find coated steel leader at Dana Landing or the best bet would be Squidco in Point Loma.

"how far should I cast. Should I try to get my bait past the breakers, or close to the shore?": I usually cast as far as I could.  Once in a while I make a bad cast and leave it where it is just to see if anything is lurking closer in.  On the other hand, if I see a break closer in with deeper water, I might just try lob casting into the hole.  But generally, I like heaving it as far out as I could go past the breakers.

"would a penn Jigmaster filled with 150 yards of 50 pound braid, and about 300 yards of forty pound braid on a twelve foot rod be sufficient for this kind of fishing?":  That would be totally fine.  I'm not sure how skilled at the long rod you are, but I put magnets in my old Penn 505 to help with the cast control since there was so much weight and force on every cast.  It definitely helps!

I think you are in good shape there.  It's not as hot for action in the summer due to all of the people on the beaches and it being light so late, but good fishing is still definitely to be had.  I hope that helps and welcome to the site!

You can't catch them from your computer chair.

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 08:31:31 AM »
What Tom said ^
Good luck!

Shubs

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 09:34:37 AM »