Author Topic: Decent Light Tackle Report 7/16/17  (Read 1952 times)

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Decent Light Tackle Report 7/16/17
« on: July 16, 2017, 10:12:36 AM »
Been enjoying my return to my light tackle days.

Saturday I went down to an old favorite beach. Turned right, no action. Went way back down the beach the other direction to "Corbinaland." Still holds the title. Got 5 corbina in the 12-14" range. Headed home after that. Pretty happy.

Today I just jumped in the truck and let it take me fishing. My last truck was pretty good at picking where to go, so I had to give the new truck the chance.

I was quite surprised at where it took me. Somewhere I haven't even looked at in ages, but has a great history with me. I was intrigued, and decided to play along.

Ran the cobblestone gauntlet to get to the water, but there was plenty of sand to stand on comfortably.

Dug a few crabs, pinned one on and made a short cast into a deeper looking zone.

Not long after that, I felt a familiar thump, then a run, and a pretty good fight, considering I was fishing 10# line.

Rewarded with a nice corbina. 22" maybe? Didn't measure. Almost didn't take a picture, but decided I needed to try and figure some way to post a pic in case I catch a nice contender.

Seriously considered just leaving, the first cast curse was going through my mind.

An hour passed without a bite. I worked up, down, in the wholes, on the flats. Nothing.

Decided to try the long bomb.

Slung one out just to the impact zone of the outer break and let it sit. Shortly, my rod just loads up, no bite felt, and something is hooked.

Pretty dogged fight, I was thinking small bat, but it felt more fishy. I couldn't figure this one out. Guess it has been too long since I got a decent one.

Pretty stoked. I fished the long bomb for another 30 minutes and got a decent size perch.

Packed it in and headed for home after another 30 with no action.

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Re: Decent Light Tackle Report 7/16/17
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 12:32:55 PM »
Nice ones Steve!
I'm going to have to do more light rodding this summer. 

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 05:22:45 PM »
Pretty stoked??  I'd be super stoked, nice fish Steve. 
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 03:49:10 PM by vdisney »
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 07:27:34 AM »
Excellent light tackle fishing Steve.  I was out of commission all weekend with that damn allergic bee sting reaction.  It has been a long time since I caught a spotfin.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

LONGCAST JOE

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 08:01:27 PM »
Didn't exactly know how to put it into words myself, but you nailed it on the head! "Just jumped into the truck and let it take me fishing." That's what happens, masterfully said...

Here's my logic looking at the two pics....That spotfin dwarfs your foot! & a 22" bean does not , therefore that's one big ass spotfin!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 12:20:16 PM by LONGCAST JOE »

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 08:26:37 AM »
Sounds like the truck has a good nose for finding fish ! 8) 8)

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 09:52:08 AM »
nice spotfin..Steve. You must have one of those new self-driving cars. I wish I had one of those.  ;)
2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)