Author Topic: El Nino at Its Finest (7/12)  (Read 13862 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
El Nino at Its Finest (7/12)
« on: July 13, 2014, 07:10:35 AM »
Steve and I took the little Boma out looking for Pelagics again.  On Tuesday we were so close, but we had a short window to fish before the winds popped up.
Once again, Blue whales everywhere!

We came across a 5' mako that we played around with until Steve says "I don't want to be stepping over this thing all day", so we left well enough alone and headed out to the warm blue water. 

Along the way, we came across a few empty paddys and a few loaded with dorado!  Holy crap, beautiful big ones too! No bait, frozen or fresh, so we threw the kitchen sink at them from our tackle boxes to no avail.

We came across a huge 500+ pound mola mola that we played around with for a few minutes.  All of a sudden, it took off under water and came jumping clear out of the water!!!!  I've seen Youtube of this and small ones, but never a giant like this in real life.  I've seen it out of the corner of my eye and knew what it was, but Steve and I had front row seating watching this guy.

We came across feeding dolphin and suspected tuna, but we couldn't hook a thing.

It started to get windy and we decided to troll our way home.

Just then, Steve say's "I think I'm bit"...  Ha!  He is alright!

Big female dodo!  17 pounds!  Nice one Steve!

Well, they are here and it's time to strike when the iron is hot!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: El Nino at Its Finest (7/12)
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 04:12:19 PM »
What a fun trip, so much life out there. The jumping mola was a sight to see. And the whales. The whales. Finally got to see that deep dive tail fluke. Incredible.

We put a lot of miles on the Boma. Glad it paid off in a nice exotic. Not bad for 12" of freeboard.

Gofishgobig

• Shovelnose
  • Captain
    • View Profile
Re: El Nino at Its Finest (7/12)
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 10:16:26 PM »
Good going guys!
Tight lines....