Author Topic: Using Every Second of Vacation (8/7)  (Read 2970 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Using Every Second of Vacation (8/7)
« on: August 07, 2017, 12:23:01 PM »
I prepped my boat after getting home from Cabo and decided to do a local trip hoping for some yellows and bonito.  I was tired and got a late start as the vacation actually exhausted me for some reason.

I couldn't find a single mackerel and decided to run a little deeper where Steve and I saw a sh!t ton of mackerel the week before.  I found a huge paddy sitting there right on the numbers.

On my first few casts, I saw yellows chasing my iron, but wouldn't commit.  I switched up to my little Ambassador 200 with 14# test and a small iron.  I hooked and got the first one and quite the battle for such a small fish on small tackle.

I had the next one to the boat side before the hook bent out and he got away just before I could sink the gaff.  I had another exact lure, but didn't want to spend the time tying up with yellows all charged up.  I switched back to the bigger megabait on some bigger tackle and did not even get a follower.  I tied on the new gold bait and got another cookie cutter yellow, but a hell of a fight on bass gear!

I just left the yellow at the bottom of the boat and kept working the paddy.  A few casts later and I get my first bonie of any size in a while!

I get a third yellow in the boat about the same size.  A few casts later and I get hammered by what looked like a little bigger model.  Maybe a 12 pounder or so, but he kept trying to get me in the kelp.  I tried to get him away and it unbuttoned... or should I say busted and bent out a hook!  These are not wimpy hooks, nor are they heavy duty saltwater.  Too much pressure I guess.

I started casting again and I saw a boat make a turn and B-Line right at me.  I hate mother f@ckers who don't want to look for their own paddy and would rather just mug a stopped boat.  Unfortunately I hooked up when they stopped right on me so they were their to annoy me after that.  #4 in the boat, all about 6-7 pounds or so, but a hell of a fight on the bass gear once again.

Douche bags #1

They motored right up on the paddy and shut things down.  Did I say that I hate these f@ckers?  Not as much as the second ones however...

I took off offshore a bit and started zig zagging looking for another paddy.  I found another great one and on my first cast saw a bunch of much bigger models chasing it!  I decided to grab the bigger stick with the bigger megabait and got whacked!  A MUCH BIGGER MODEL AND IT WAS RUNNING TO THE PADDY!  I saw it and would say it was a 20# model.  About 8-9 minutes into the fight, the hook just pulled.  No bent hooks or anything.  They were only hitting the jig on the fast retrieve so I think they were just not getting enough bite onto the hook.  I kept trying, but they kept chasing it or making big circles around the paddy.  I switche dup to a big swimbait and some topwater poppers when I saw these f@cks make a turn at full speed in the distance and roll right up on the paddy.  I mean running the f@cker over.

I went over to let them know how I felt and they said "you nodded for us to come over".  A f@cking head shake "NO" does not mean a nod yes to come over!  f@ck heads.  I need a seal deterrent for these f@ck heads.

Once I calmed myself down, I started to head in.  I found a small school of macks and made enough for one shark trip, so that was icing on the cake.  On the water by 6, home by 12.  It felt good to get it done, but the boat non-skid makes blood tough to get up for all of the spots you missed while out on the water.

I just started filleting fish as I just wanted to relax and even kept the bonito for some dinner.  I grabbed one yellowtail however and saw this sticking out of it's belly.  Parasite?  Gross whatever it was.

I have a neighbor that will eat anything, so I'll just hook him up with some fresh fillets to grill.  ;D

Well, thanks for reading.  Hopefully this is a sign that my fishing luck might be picking up again.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Re: Using Every Second of Vacation (8/7)
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 02:55:10 PM »
Sucks about those googans high jacking your spots!
Glad you had some success though! YT on bass gear sounds fun!

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 03:58:39 PM »
You sure it wasn't Josh on that boat?  ;)  Dude, life is great for you right now! New boat, Cabo, and more fishing once you got back!!!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 06:33:52 PM »
What d!ck heads.

Good read and good day on the water.

Agreed, those are fun as hell on bass gear.

Lots of dodos around btw.

I have a trip booked at the end of this month

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 06:43:17 AM »
Sounds like summertime fishing in San Diego. At least you caught some fish and bait. Surprised you had that much company for a Monday.
2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 10:17:26 AM »
You didn't investigate the alien creature in more detail? That's trippy looking!!!  ??? ???

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2017, 10:39:45 AM »
You didn't investigate the alien creature in more detail? That's trippy looking!!!  ??? ???
Hell no.  After the movie "The Bay", I don't investigate parasites.  LOL
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2017, 05:45:44 AM »
Surprised you had that much company for a Monday.

All it takes is ONE knucklehead.....................   Stoked the new ride is working out for ya Tom   :)
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect