Author Topic: OK night at the MB Corral ... (12/19/14)  (Read 5503 times)

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
OK night at the MB Corral ... (12/19/14)
« on: December 22, 2014, 07:49:41 PM »
Ditched work early as the tides looked good for an MB Bat session. -.5 to a 4.5 from 3p to 8p. The winds were pretty light too with 5-8mph early, then pretty calm for the evening.

Picked up Paul and hit the Bat Fight spot around 4. Set up with squid / fresh caught macs and didn't take 5 minutes to MISS two nice hit-n-runs. Re-bait, cast out, then my Mac goes screaming, only to go slack as I reach the rod. Bummed! But pretty stoked for the instant action.  :o

At this point an angler from down the beach walks over to check out what we were fishing for, baits, etc. He was watching us race back and forth and could hear the clickers rip. Talked story for about 10 minutes when the mac goes off again. Run down, give a TOM hook set, and I'm on. Could feel the tail thumps and knew it was a good LEO. Few nice runs back an forth and tell Paul "Hey, this is a Leo". He and the other gentleman gave me a "yeah, right" ... Get the head turned to shore and start my slow walk backwards to beach. I finally get it to water's edge (expecting Steve to be there for the assist - OH Wait) and look over at Paul. He's still chatting away then **SNAP**  >:( >:( ... I glare back over at him and he says "What? You wanted me to grab that?" ... LOL (fugger)  ???  Good deckies are under appreciated  ;)

Was a nice 4-5ft kitty. Awe well.

As I'm retying my squid gets hit with a solid run. BAT !!! YES!!! Great fight too with air, runs, and a good hunker down for 5 minutes. Finally get her up and Paul helps with this one. Didn't measure but would guesstimate 45"

As we snap a pic Paul's rod then volleys for a bat of his own.
Gave him a few good rips then realized he was knotted up mid-spool. Gave a shout "oh crap" and buttoned down. Fortunately it wasn't too big and he muscled it to shore.

The bite shut down for a good half hour  ... then my parade of smaller critters starts.

First up a SNGF
Gotta give it the Hendrix

Then a Butter ...

Greedy SBB - took on a large mac head ...

We hit another lull from 6:45 to 7:15 and agreed "let's go in 15min at 7:30". Sure enough, right at 7:30 on the button, one of Paul's rods starts to sing.
Has a good fight with a medium sized Leo and beach it.  As he's removing the hook for a picture, his 2nd rod goes off. He fricken doubles up at the buzzer!!!
This time another small Bat, but worth the double photo!

Super fun night with multi-species success. Can't wait to get out again over the Holidays!!

Tight Lines everyone, and thanks for reading!

Aloha~

WMB

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
Re: OK night at the MB Corral ... (12/19/14)
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 10:44:06 PM »
Kick ass session!!! Nice going Dave! If I could only get more peeps to brave the cold with me, you guys would see a report 3-4 times a week from me.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 05:11:55 AM »
Killer night Dave. Sorry I wasn't there to land your leo.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 07:17:01 AM »
Just an OK night?  I would put that in the stellar cataogry.................Verne
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 07:30:02 AM »
Ahhh, here is the report!!! lol

At least you showed him a "Tom" hookset since he lacked the courage to give you a "Squatch" tail grab.   ;)

Great evening Dave!  Big fish and a bunch of species.  We'll be trying to imitate this report soon.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

raychavez91

• Leopard
  • moderator's look up to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 03:29:52 PM »
I hate those night were you can't stop missing em!! But regardless you guys put some good numbers out

j.rasta

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 10:53:03 PM »
Thanks for keeping my fish fed Dave ;) that's not the bat fight spot, that's Rasta's Island brah! B) I'll be down there Friday night with a fire n some brews if u old salty Padres can get away from the Familia... nice work out there Dave and Paulie.

SevengillTheVC

• Leopard
  • I don't always catch fish, but when I do....
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2014, 10:53:26 PM »
Sweet deal, I've been relegated to catching carp from my local sinkholes nowadays. You SD folks making me jelly!

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2014, 10:58:59 PM »
I'll try and make it, Josh.   ;)

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2014, 12:58:53 PM »
Thanks for keeping my fish fed Dave ;) that's not the bat fight spot, that's Rasta's Island brah! B) I'll be down there Friday night with a fire n some brews if u old salty Padres can get away from the Familia... nice work out there Dave and Paulie.

Indeed ... it should be aptly named point Rasta!! We gathered up there last fight ... but the "Bat Fight" spot is historically Ski Beach.

Friday huh? May try to rally as well ...

j.rasta

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2014, 02:00:57 PM »
Lmfao I've jus put in waaaay more time there than anyone I know... been rewarded for my consistency several times over, so Im always super comfortable and confident. to me it's "the spot" and my spot to anyone I see fishin there lol.  But yeah ski-bee is the triple "OG" Bat fight spot.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2014, 12:52:11 PM »
I might be down for tomorrow.  I never made definite plans to trout fish, but I like the idea of an evening soak session.  8)
I'm heavily leaning towards meeting you at the bay, Josh. 

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2014, 12:59:54 PM »
Good luck guys. I'll be having a couple beers and shooting pool with my dad and boys.