Author Topic: Busting Bass at the Bay (8/12)  (Read 1814 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Busting Bass at the Bay (8/12)
« on: August 12, 2017, 10:36:24 AM »
My daughter's birthday party is today and I had the urge to fish prior to the festivities.  It's been a while since I've stalked the bay and it felt like a good morning as any to do so.

I tried hunting some corvina for my first 4 stops with only a needlefish to show for it.  It looked like it may be the needlefish curse.  On my last stop, I switched up to some plastics doused in Calico c*cktail and finally got on the board!

Not big, but it was a skunk buster.  Then it all went wide open!  About a 50 yard stretch of beach was chock full of spotties!  I preceded to catch them on every other cast for the next couple of hours. 
Most were typical sized bass at 8-10 inches, but I did manage some better grade fish in the mix!

The needlefish were a bear also.  I found the mother-load of them and they did some damage on my swimmies.  If I got through them, then I usually got some bass.

In between bass, I had a few really good hits and though I had a corvina, but nope!  The Calico c*cktail works with croaker too!

I get some more bass with a few better grade ones as the tide started coming in.

Fat and Stumpy

Getting bigger!

Then I thought I had another corvina on again!  Nope, YFC #2!

Ended up with 24 bass, 2 YFC and a needle fish.  I had a corvina chase and swipe at my swimmy 5' from shore, but it didn't get all of it and only had it hooked for a second.
Things started to get busy, so I walked back to the truck and found a poor King that got squashed on the road!  It wasn't there when I walked down, so it must have just happened.  Such a bummer.

Well, a great morning indeed.  I sometimes forget how fun some shoreline stalking can be!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Re: Busting Bass at the Bay (8/12)
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2017, 11:00:40 AM »
Nice spotties.

I went one for two on them last night.

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 04:19:21 PM »
Nice bass Tom!
Too bad about that nice cali king :(

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2017, 04:32:28 PM »
Sweet bay session...Tom.
2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 05:37:18 PM »
Nice to have Bass Thumb every once in a while 8) 8)  Bummer for Mr. King Snake  :(