Author Topic: 8/13 SD Bay 40 water  (Read 2802 times)

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
8/13 SD Bay 40 water
« on: August 13, 2017, 05:53:19 PM »
Hit the bay with Haliberry on my mind. A week ago I ran into em. This morning decided to see if they were still around.

Strategic late start. Dipped the yak at the low end of the tide swing. Paddled out to the area and started slinging the big stuff. First couple hours produced plenty of short bites. Only one felt right. But alas none stuck so I downsized from the 6" to a 4". Bites started sticking but all the wrong kind. Nice grade though cookie cutter footlongs.

At about the top of the swing with non of the target species to be seen I called it quits. Worked that 40 water ( 7 fathoms ) all day. Surprised to get a consistent bite on the spotties. But again never targeted spotties in deeper water before. Opens up a whole new column to work in the future. Also interesting to see the area was nothing but flatties last week and this week all spotties.

A few samples of the ones that made it over.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: 8/13 SD Bay 40 water
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 06:48:01 PM »
Good bunch of fish.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Re: 8/13 SD Bay 40 water
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 06:17:51 AM »
Nice fish Len!  Bummer the flatties were gone, but that's their game.  Deep water spotties  are really interesting as I've only caught sandies that deep.  Pretty cool bit of information.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.