Author Topic: Blue, Yellow and Brown (8/13)  (Read 4618 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Blue, Yellow and Brown (8/13)
« on: August 14, 2017, 07:12:40 AM »
Steve and I took the Curmudgeon out on an exploratory mission.  Conditions were great for boating, but paddy spotting was tough with the overcast conditions and slight texture on the water.  We made a few dozen baits of both mack and big sardine before heading offshore.

On our way and we pass a 4.5 foot mako swimming at the surface.  We didn't have the right gear and didn't feel like playing with a live chainsaw.  We continued on our way...

We found a small paddy and didn't find anything that looked too promising, but Steve struck first blood with this yellow!

We moved from paddy to paddy and found a small triple paddy at the edge.  I got hit on the iron and put out a half dead sardine as sardines don't do well in my bait tank.  I've tried slow trolling paddies in the past, but never did well... like never got anything!  I decided to slow troll this dine and POW!  Fish on!

We saw another free swimmer, but couldn't get it to go.  We traveled a good distance before the sun finally came out and found a nice paddy about 14 miles off shore.  Steve cast out an iron and was followed by yellows, 10 at a time!  We had yellows busting on the paddy, and on both sides of the paddy!  We ripped irons through them for nothing so we pinned on some baits and started slow trolling the kelp.  BAM!  Double Hook Up!!!!

Unfortunately, Steve's yellow went straight for the kelp and hung him up.  I was fortunate to get mine in as they were really firecrackers and didn't want to come to gaff!

The fish disappeared and Steve tried something different by chunking a huge sardine.  BAM!  A yellow slammed his chunk, but ran right to the kelp and got him all tangled up and busted off!  CRAP!

I started reeling in my mackerel when I get slammed next to the boat.  I thought it was a big yellow, when I saw a 6' purple shadow flying bye under the boat!  I thought swordie for a split second, but realized that I had a nice mako!  Unfortunately I hooked it on 25# and a small size 2 hook!  I must have got him right in the lip since he hit it when I was reeling in and I put some serious pressure on it.  I got it next to the boat, and Steve grabbed the gaff, but really didn't want to deal with it in the boat.  I was on the fence, but agreed that it would have been possible trouble if we did gaff him.  We watched in amazement with it next to the boat and wanted to get the camera, but he was camera shy and thrashed real hard and busted it off before we could get the picture.  Oh well, but it was pretty damn cool!  We fished the paddy a bit more before a big boat slid onto the paddy and we made out exit.

We couldn't find anymore paddies and ran towards the inlet to call it the day.  We stopped on some hard bottom and tossed the iron to see if anything was around... and to relax from the long run in.

I struck first with a small Vermilion.  I then get a bigger hit and Bam!  Legal Ling!

I ended it with a Brownie, so it was a great day indeed!

We were hoping to see some dodo, or some other type of pelagic, but it was still a great trip out there.

Thanks for reading and until next tide!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
Re: Blue, Yellow and Brown (8/13)
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 08:48:41 AM »
Good eats!

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 08:48:59 AM »
Dang, that boat fishing looks like so much fun!
Nice going guys!  8)

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 08:51:28 AM »
It was a fun day. The New Jersey mob went much easier on me this time.

Bummed to lose the two fish, but I got the fun part.

Next time.

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 10:19:33 AM »
Nice session guys, so you hooked a Mako when it took your YT? (Wasn't clear from the write up) How is it that you out fish Steve on land and on the water?  ;)
2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 10:26:57 AM »
Nice session guys, so you hooked a Mako when it took your YT? (Wasn't clear from the write up) How is it that you out fish Steve on land and on the water?  ;)

You are walking a fine line.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2017, 11:48:02 AM »

Ban him!!!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2017, 11:54:31 AM »
Nice session guys, so you hooked a Mako when it took your YT? (Wasn't clear from the write up)

"I started reeling in my mackerel when I get slammed next to the boat."... quite clear actually.  lol
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2017, 11:56:05 AM »
Nice session guys, so you hooked a Mako when it took your YT? (Wasn't clear from the write up)

"I started reeling in my mackerel when I get slammed next to the boat."... quite clear actually.  lol

He's special needs...

Sounds like some great fishing! I love getting them on bass gear. I miss the private boat action.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
    • Ben Cantrell's fish species blog
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2017, 12:01:13 PM »
Wow nice report!  Shame about not getting a mako photo though.  You'd better take a 3rd person next time as your photographer, *cough cough*.

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2017, 12:21:02 PM »
Your boat *is* a Mako. Gotta land the namesake to christen it properly.

Jim

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2017, 12:46:55 PM »

Ban him!!!

I have an agreement with Tom. And a list for when it expires.

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2017, 03:19:45 PM »
Awesome trip guys. Glad the boat is a proving to be a real fish killer. That big mako would have been on my grill though ... :P :P

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2017, 06:35:53 AM »
Once again brother, super stoked your new ride is working out so well   ;D
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2017, 06:27:16 PM »