Author Topic: Daddy Daycare (08-17-17)  (Read 2554 times)

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
Daddy Daycare (08-17-17)
« on: August 17, 2017, 11:26:37 PM »
My boys summer program was closed today, so, I had to take the day off. Asked the kids what they wanted to do... let's go fishing!! SWEET!

I decided on OB pier hoping the bonito and macks were running. With the water cooling some, it was time for some fresh grinner bait. It was peak low so we hit up the bay to pump up some ghosties. Didnt really need any, but my kids dig it and they love seeing what gets pumped out. Got some quality GS, some razor clams, and some worms. Time killed, we head to the pier hoping we get lucky and find parking right away.

Beautiful day, calm seas, and lots of bikinis and tiny jogging shorts. I love San Diego! I can see some macks being reeled up towards the end so we double time it. It would be WFO for a few minutes then nothing, then WFO again to nothing. This would be the theme all day. So much life in the water. Huge schools of bait fish would breeze by being chased by mini macks all the way up 14" macks. Saw a couple sea lions, some breezing bonito (we landed 3), legal sized cudas, and I even saw a couple yellows chasing bait as well. I didn't have the gear for those guys, but very cool to see.

I was teaching my kids how to drop their lines into the water and how to properly fight a fish without rubbing the rods and guides in the beat up wooden rails. Then this random old guy (he had to be in his 80s) walks up and watches my boys in action. He makes a comment about them needing help and I said they were ok and that I let them fight their own fish unless they ask for help. So he goes and helps by hauling up the line by hand while they reel. I'm slightly perturbed and tell him they can manage as politely as possible. He doesn't listen to me. Then as I'm unhooking the mack, I get bit on my rod and he proceeds to to reel it in. I unhook that fish, he rebaits it and casts it out! This goes on for about an hour. He catches fish on my rod and unhook it for him. Lol!! WTF!! He's old and he's having fun so I just play deckhand for a while.

I could only laugh it off. He got his fill and thanked me. Even though he managed to tangle up all 3 rods fighting a mack, I kind of enjoyed watching him have his fun. One of my boys reeled in 2 macks even though he only had one hook. One mack swallowed the sinker and it came out his gills kind of "snagging" him.

I had to call it a day after the cooler was getting full and heavy. Gotta remember my fish cart next time because I wanted to stay and try to get more bonito. We spent an hour playing in the surf before heading home. Best day so far this summer!

« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 01:19:46 PM by Pinoyfisher »
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
Re: Daddy Daycare (08-17-17)
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 06:59:49 AM »
Best day so far this summer!

Don't get no better than that, fishing with the kids.  And many kudos for letting the older gent get in some fishing.  My dad is 92 and is getting forgetful, but when he tries to lend me a hand (plumbing, cars, electrical etc.) I stand back and let him enjoy himself (hard as it is to watch).  We're all going to grow old some day, hopefully someone will return the good deed.  Nothing but respect brother   8)
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 09:36:45 AM »
Mike,
By far the funniest report I've ever read!  So cool of you to let the old guy commandeer your gear and play deckhand for him!
What a great day with the kids!  Those are my favorite kind of fishing trips too!  Need to take them out again soon!

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 10:14:42 AM »
 Sounds like a good day for sure, Mike. Never know what will happen next at the pier.

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 10:15:26 AM »
And you didn't leave him with a slimy handprint on his back?  ;D

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 02:48:39 PM »
When ever I fish with Mike the oddest people always finds him. He just has that odd magnet about him.
2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2017, 02:50:08 PM »
When ever I fish with Mike the oddest people always finds him. He just has that odd magnet about him.

Too true! Remember Josh?   ;)
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)