Author Topic: Yellows, Yellows, Yellows! (8/20)  (Read 2358 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Yellows, Yellows, Yellows! (8/20)
« on: August 21, 2017, 07:15:23 AM »
I was hoping to get Jscrib out on the boat, but he ran into some family issues and couldn't make it.  It was so late, already that I just hit the sack and decided to figure it out in the morning.

I got a late start and didn't drop the boat in until 6:00am.  It wasn't until 7:00 when I realized there was no bait around and I had to make a decision.  Dave gave me some intel to the south that had a bunch of yellows last week, but the counts didn't reflect that the night before so I was flip flopping on what to do.

I decided to make the run and only had artificials to work with.  I saw a lot of spread out boats and most people were fly lining sardines.  I kept away from the pack and began with trolling the Rapala and a River2Sea deep diver.  The River2Sea lure was the bomb and I crushed them all day on it.

They weren't big, all 5 to 8 pound fish on average, but I couldn't believe the quantity!

They crushed the River2Sea and totally left the Rapala alone!

They messed it up bad!

After catching a dozen, I switched up to the Tady 45 and got 3 more!  Next I put on a Salas 7X and finally got one, but it took a while so I switched up to a megabait on the bass rod and got another one!

Bad Rapala!

Good Crank Bait!

The sun came out strong and I decided to call it the day early!  In 3 hours I somehow got maybe a persona best 17 yellows!  Nothing big, but two went 10-12 pounds.  I kept 7 as a few early ones I kept were just at the 24" fork length and I didn't want to chance it by keeping too many.  I had plenty of meat to clean when I got home anyway so was extremely happy.  I wish I got a video of me throwing all those yellows back!  i don't think I ever would have imagined myself doing such a thing and I caught them all on artificial!

Well, it was great getting back in my driveway by 12:30!  I passed a bunch of boats in Point Loma, but decided to not even stop.  Later on I heard there was a really good bonito bite there as a buddy got a half dozen nice ones!

It's great seeing the local action going off and still amazed at hearing all of the BFT chatter at the islands.  A few friends got their limits today and it was pretty killer to hear.  I need to get my Mex Visa!

Well, a fabulous weekend for sure!

Until next tide! (And don't look at the sun/Eclipse today!)  LOL
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Re: Yellows, Yellows, Yellows! (8/20)
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 09:36:30 AM »
Nice Tom!  Looks delicious!

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 04:51:58 PM »
Nice jacks Tom  8)

I'm sure your still jazzed about those.

I'm hitting the island on Saturday, can't wait.

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 06:17:06 PM »
Pick a lure any lure!

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 10:15:18 PM »
So awesome!! Love getting yellows on the bass gear!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2017, 05:47:13 AM »
Thanks Guys.

Get them Eric!  It's been a morning bite for the most part, but could change week to week.  Looking forward to seeing what you catch.

Len, it was cool using lures that sat in my box for years and had them work!  lol

Mike, I had to switch it up a couple of times as my hand and forearm started to cramp with the bass gear.  LOL
You can't catch them from your computer chair.