Author Topic: Half a Hundo (8/22)  (Read 8049 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Half a Hundo (8/22)
« on: August 23, 2017, 06:41:22 AM »
Well to be like Pinoyfisher, I should have the signature line read: FIFTY   ;D

I didn't meet up with Squatch until sunset as I had some plumbing to do back at the house and Steve had a mouse to terminate at his.  Steve had a line in the water when I got there and I set up hoping conditions were just fishable, as I had little faith with all the kelp and grass on the beach.

It wasn't 15 minutes after I get a line in the water with a fresh Spanish Mack pinned on when my clicker started singing!  It felt very sharky, but had some weight to it.  I was almost convincing myself that I had a hammerhead on since it was not being very typical of a Soupfin.

Sure enough, it was a Soupfin and a biggie!  74" Female!  (The picture somehow doesn't do it justice for a 74" and it was pretty thick also). It must be nice being big and fat, but most pictures ever taken of you make you look long and slim.  lol, I think a head shot next time front on might show a better picture of it.

Not long after and I get a screaming run! It fought just like a leopard and turned out to be exactly that.  A 53" female Leppo! (It's been a while since I got a nice Leopard)

Steve then reels in a small Leopard about 2 feet, but he was on the board!

Not long later and I see a big bounce in my rod.  I run up to see the line slacking up and I just started cranking in fast as possible with the rod in the sand spike until I caught up with it.  SOUPIE ON!

This one was another big fatty!  It was only 72", but these pictures came out slightly better than the 74" Soupie.  I only had my phone to take pics and forgot to put the flash on as I left my camera at home.

It wasn't too long after that, Steve gets a mighty rip of the clicker and he's hooked up with a nice Soupie!  It's funny how those soupie's find a way to locate that weak spot in your tackle, as a few minutes into the battle and Steve's line goes limp, along with his dreams of cancelling one of my Soupies out on the Leaderboard.    ;D ;D ;D

Lost rig, so as he was re-tying, I made sure I had a fresh bait out there.  I was getting some smaller bites and caught the sucker on a hookset!  Another legal Leopard!  Didn't measure, but was between the 36"-40" mark.

Steve gets another good hit and it had a great fight with a really nice leopard!  Man, in 2 hours of fishing, we were just crushing it!
57" female

The bites started coming in fast and furious now, but the "Other" night crew was replacing the grinners.  Lots of corners chewed up by rays and Steve finally get one.  Or should I say -1.....  Well that gives Squatch only 1 fish for the night now!  LOL

Thornback Ray (Haven't seen one of these in quite some time)

So after we started getting swiped by smaller ray bites, we called it quits.  Not a bad session for only 2.5 hours of fishing!!!!

We also learned two things last night... Pinoyfisher's Theory that if you catch a Leopard Shark, you won't catch a real shark... went down the drain. 
Number 2 was my P-Soul shark list just hit Half-a-Hundo!!!!!

I was hoping for a 7-gill  also to get the P-Soul Shark SLAM, but that's a Slam that is not easy to accomplish, nor has it been accomplished yet.
Well, get out there and get some, before Squatch and I hog them up all to ourselves!

Until Next Tide!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

EdgarP9

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
Re: Half a Hundo (8/22)
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 06:52:47 AM »
Awesome surf sharking guys! Btw Tom the p-soul slam has been done a couple times this year , just havent posted it  ;). Best day this summer for me was 3 soupies and 2 7's in about 4-5 hrs of fishing.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 06:56:27 AM »
Awesome surf sharking guys! Btw Tom the p-soul slam has been done a couple times this year , just havent posted it  ;). Best day this summer for me was 3 soupies and 2 7's in about 4-5 hrs of fishing.

You should post some reports when you get them.  There are a few competitions going on with some cool prizes that you could totally get in on and a lot of the guys would love to read some more reports.

Well, I've got 2 of the 3 many times, but have been unable to complete the circuit.  Congrats on getting it done  8)

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 07:31:46 AM »
Action packed adventure in a short window=  8) 8) 8)

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 07:55:32 AM »
Well, we know water temp plays a huge role. According to Surfline, coastal temps are 68-70 right now. Anything higher and the real grinners head to deeper, cooler water. Makes sense why the pier guys can still catch them, but us shore guys can't.

Almost went out solo last night too! Decided to stay home to get some sleep since it's my boys first day of 1st grade and it can be hectictje first day of school. The race is back on!!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 08:31:24 AM »
Congrats on hitting the big FIVE-OH Tom!
Am I wrong, or are the circle hooks starting to work out for you??  ;)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2017, 08:34:59 AM »
NOPE!  Screw them circles!  I went back to J's after 4 failed trips with them.  If Squatch is catching and I'm not, then the hook is to blame so I'm back to the J's with success!  lol

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
    • Ben Cantrell's fish species blog
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2017, 08:50:06 AM »
Nice!!  Congrats!  I gotta get out there for some evening fishing.

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2017, 08:55:14 AM »
Haha, ok.  I thought from the statement that you left the rod in the holder and reeled until the soupie was hooked up that you were using a circle.  I've actually started using J's again on some of my rigs as well.  Need to look for some stronger ones though.
What brand do you use?

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2017, 09:05:27 AM »
Haha, ok.  I thought from the statement that you left the rod in the holder and reeled until the soupie was hooked up that you were using a circle.  I've actually started using J's again on some of my rigs as well.  Need to look for some stronger ones though.
What brand do you use?

Gamakatsu Big River.

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2017, 09:08:33 AM »
I feel Steve's pain.  ;) No one likes a show off Tom! Now Mike is gonna want to go out and fish every night this week.  ;D

What's up with the tail rope? Grab it like a man.  ;D
2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

lightline21

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2017, 09:30:07 AM »
Wow! Congrats guys, on a good night of fishing.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2017, 09:40:17 AM »
What's up with the tail rope? Grab it like a man.  ;D

Steve brought the tail rope and I loved it.  Steve and I saw you in action trying to tail my sharks a few months ago.  I should be saying that to you as I almost ran down to grab it myself rather than watch you try to get a hold of it. LOL

Where's My Beer took a beating from me about the tail rope, but all of my injuries and age are catching up to me.  I owe him an apology as it makes things SO much easier on the shoulders and back!  ha ha ha ha

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2017, 10:12:15 AM »
NOPE!  Screw them circles!  I went back to J's after 4 failed trips with them.  If Squatch is catching and I'm not, then the hook is to blame so I'm back to the J's with success!  lol

Got my big leppo on a circle. Also the thorny that cancelled it.

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2017, 10:19:38 AM »
What brand do you use?

Gamakatsu Big River.

Dang, those are pricy!