Author Topic: Bone hordes  (Read 3091 times)

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Bone hordes
« on: August 29, 2017, 06:44:32 PM »
Went out up to La Jolla hoping to get a yellowtail.

Got about 10 little macs and headed up. Trolled a small rapala and the bones were all over it. Caught the limit in 20 minutes if that. 4 for bait and a real big one to try. Not impressed by the taste of it.

Used the little macs and hooked into something large that dove down and got broke off Kinda felt like that soupie. Others got mauled or came off. One 18 " calico as well.

Nothing else.

New bait tank rocks but the if I stop the pump, the tank drains out.

Fish Jerk

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Bone hordes
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 07:18:36 PM »
Not a bait tank guy, but maybe need 2 drains. An overflow drain at max water level and a bottom drain to empty the tank. If you shut the bottom drain, while the pump is running, it will drain from the upper drain but won't empty if the pump stops. When your done for the day, you can open the bottom drain to flush the tank.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 06:22:45 AM »
Not a bait tank guy, but maybe need 2 drains. An overflow drain at max water level and a bottom drain to empty the tank. If you shut the bottom drain, while the pump is running, it will drain from the upper drain but won't empty if the pump stops. When your done for the day, you can open the bottom drain to flush the tank.

That's exactly it.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 06:25:48 AM »
Nice session Jim. 

Chances are it was a nice yellow and not a soupie, just based on what has been happening out there the last few weeks.  Glad you got some shark bait and one to try out.  I love the bonito, but need to take care of it right away after catching it and get all that red meat off.

Well done boss.  Now hopefully you keep improving on each boat trip out there!

Bravo sir!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2017, 10:18:17 AM »
Nice session Jim. 

Chances are it was a nice yellow and not a soupie, just based on what has been happening out there the last few weeks.  Glad you got some shark bait and one to try out.  I love the bonito, but need to take care of it right away after catching it and get all that red meat off.

Well done boss.  Now hopefully you keep improving on each boat trip out there!

Bravo sir!

Water was too bouncy to try and do filleting out there. Did cut the gills and kill it, sliced it open, pulled out the innards, and into the ice chest.

When I got home filleted out the light meat but it is still fishy for me.

Was nose hooking the mack but I know people hook in the back or tail at times. Tried hooking one in the back and got the Calico off it.

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2017, 10:25:29 AM »

That's exactly it.

The old tank had the intake up top this one is on the bottom. I don't believe the pump, an Attwood Tsunami 800 has an anti siphon valve in it.

The tank does have a second drain at the bottom for the end of the day. I may just need to lift the intake hose to prevent draining so I don't have to run it all day.

Jim

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2017, 10:25:52 AM »
Finally had a good outing! I like bonito if prepared properly and it sounds like you did that. I prefer mine sashimi or a quick sear in EVOO and some butter with a little garlic salt and pepper. You got some bait, now hit the surf!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2017, 05:36:11 AM »
I like bonito if prepared properly

Have some smoked in the fridge, love it!!
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect