Author Topic: The Chum Bucket  (Read 4973 times)

JayRay

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
The Chum Bucket
« on: November 28, 2017, 09:58:08 PM »
To bad all the posts under this topic got bombed by photobucket, I wanted to try and tie up some of the other posts.

Here is my critter rod rig.

Since I started using this rig I am only on the squid for a short time before the fresh cut bait arrives. I usually put a big piece of bait in the bucket and then change out the hook and bait size till I figure out what is around. I will run from #6 to 6/0 hooks on it and then move to the long rod for anything bigger, never met a hungry fish that was line shy.

I have used them on mono for a long time but work much better on wire.

#MAGA

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
Re: The Chum Bucket
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 12:29:01 PM »
Reminds me of a UK style carp rig. Dig the little skulls, what's the dirt on those??
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 01:00:18 PM »
Funny, I had the same type of rig for the east coast spring stripers and flounder.  It was just mono though and my chum bucket was a drilled out old 35mm film cannister.  (God, I sure hope most of you know what they were... Most people used them to hold their weed.  LOL )
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 01:09:40 PM »
Jay, that's a pretty sweet rig!
I'm building a reel for my critter rig set up now and always looking for new ideas  :D
Where do you get the chum cage and the cool beads?
Do you just clip your hooks directly to the snap swivels?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 01:26:00 PM by xjchad »

JayRay

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 01:49:10 PM »
I bought the cages last year on ebay. I got like 20 of them for like $2 and free shipping but took like a month to get here from China. The beads I found at hobby lobby and make a nice click sound when they get bounced around. I don't know if it actually makes any difference to the fish but heard the audible click attracts fish so I have always used them with good results and put them on all my rigs.

Yea I will just clip my hooks directly to the swivel, makes it easy to change out hooks and sinker sizes during a session without changing leaders. I will step the hook sizes up or down depending on the bite. When I fish bat rays with it I will usually put a 6/0 on the bottom hook and then a #2 treble hook on the top to catch the smaller fish trying to steal my bait.

I am working on a rig now to make conditions like the grinner gathering fishable and will post it up once I have given it a few successful trial runs.

#MAGA