Author Topic: Year is over  (Read 2294 times)

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Year is over
« on: September 18, 2017, 09:19:20 PM »
Awful year. Had a few great IV runs but motor issues kept the boat out of the water most of the summer. Once back the livewell went south and had to replace that. The wood was rotting under my feet and after the last ocean run threw in the towel and started the alleged "easy" process of changing the wood.

Now the day job is getting insane with road trips and my side business hitting the busy season I'm done for the year if I hope to have the boat ready for next year. Epoxy and paint don't cure well in the cold.

Hope everyone else had a better year. I haven't had the long rod out all year.  :(

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Re: Year is over
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 05:37:15 AM »
Just grab any opportunities that come your way Jim!  Don't worry about that epoxy, it will cure just fine but just might take a little more time.  You'll be super stoked when it is all done and wreaking havoc on the fishes when you are able to get out!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 10:31:31 AM »
Just hit the surf while it's curing... simple. You can't be THAT busy. Make it work. If I don't fish, I go crazy! The wife knows fishing is my fortress of solitude, my drug to fuel my addiction.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 12:53:12 PM »
Just hit the surf while it's curing... simple. You can't be THAT busy. Make it work. If I don't fish, I go crazy! The wife knows fishing is my fortress of solitude, my drug to fuel my addiction.

You would be surprised Mike. Anyone that thinks running your own business gives 6ou free time is insane. I work 16 hours M-F 12 on Saturday, and 8 on Sunday.

Even once cut the pieces will take a week to epoxy and paint.

I'm just accepting that to properly fix the boat will take me months of that small spare time window.

Jim

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
    • Ben Cantrell's fish species blog
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 04:33:19 PM »
If you decide to hit the surf and need a sand hand, hit me up.  PM me if you need my number.

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 08:14:30 PM »
Trying to contour the long side for the storage cover. 12 cuts and still not quite right.  >:(

This is just making a template to cut the starboard side for the actual piece.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2017, 09:42:10 AM »
Well, I've had to work on friends boats for years.  I totally understand, but will hopefully see you come out of this fine and get another trip on the water.  December is a fine month to get out rockfishing!

Here is a few of the posts from the work I had to do (and swore that I would never do it again!)

Well, there's always a project when it comes to my buddy's big Center Console.  We cut the transom off and replaced it with a brand new one the last time.  We also istalled a custom made tuna tower, rocket launchers and out riggers after that.
Now, he bought some custom Carolina bow flares for his boat we need to glass in.
First things first, remove the existing bow gunnels.  Not an easy task when taking a sawzall to your boat.  Maybe that's why he had me do it!  :shock:

It's picture heavy, but well worth how it progressed.

We put everything away for the day after a long and hard days work.

Now if I could only get this fiberglass itch to go away.  :lol:

More to follow as it progresses.

Well, another day in the books and finally the boat is taking shape.  We put in 5 hours today before we got to where we were done for the day.

Things looked grim at the beginning with all the pieces that needed to be neatly fit into place.

Things were not lining up, so it was time for cutting!

With everything now fitting into place, we secured up the two halves.   The next part of the project we have to cut plywood to make the gunnels and the anchor lockers.  Once that's glassed in, we could build the inside wall and glass that baby up.

[size=18]Now its time for trimming, filling, glassing... faring and sanding....faring and sanding.....faring and sanding.....![/size]

I think that everyone who thought the lines were alright before, now see's what these new lines will look like.  The boat already appears to be a 34 footer rather than the 30 it was.  :D

You can't catch them from your computer chair.

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2017, 03:27:22 PM »
It is far more work than expected. I swear if a boat was made that would fit I'd get a barebones one and move everything over.

Fuggin sawdust makes my legs itch.

Need to get a belt sander and shape the damn thing. Ugh! More tools to buy.