Author Topic: Gulf Shores AL vacay  (Read 3268 times)

j.rasta

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
Gulf Shores AL vacay
« on: September 29, 2017, 04:38:15 PM »
Took a much needed vacation to see my dad’s sister down in the panhandle area of Florida, Foley Alabama / Gulf Shores to be specific. Hadn't been down in that part of the country since I was about 9 so there was a lot for me to see and do, specifically fish to catch!
1st day we went to the intercoastal canal that leads into wolf bay and jus shore fished to see if we could find a redfish or some specks (sea trout) No bull sh!t 1st spot we stop at I walk down to the waters edge and see huge fish, right at the base of the rocks. I toss a live shrimp out and get bit instantly, but it was jus a lil mangrove snapper. As I’m literally running back to get another shrimp I look up and my dad's full bendo on something with some weight to it, but I kinda thought he was hung up lol then it wakes up, breaks the surface and it’s for sure a fish! A toad at that, he was getting worked and only had a 15lb floro leader, and 20lb braid! He gets it close enough for an ID after about 7-8mins of getting worked and I can tell it’s a giant drum! Couldn’t believe that beast didn’t find something to bust him off on with all the sh!t in that road side canal! But I managed to get a grip on it’s big ass lip and scoop the dinosaur up!

Nothing else really worth posting came in after that b4 we ran outta shrimps, and the toothy sh!ts in the canal kept biting all the tails off my swimbaits, so we went and grabbed some lunch and decided to hit up the lake in the back yard b4 sunset.

Next day we decided to rent a boat from one of my uncle's buddy's who runs a boat rental shop. He hooked it up with a nice 20 ft CC and we set out to find some bull reds and specks. Well we wasted a lot of time and baits on small sh!t lookin for the right spot, after 4 hrs of catching the same sh!t from the day b4 I decided I needed a beer and a break. We hit a lil waterfront bar and grabbed a beer, one of the locals at the bar asked where we were fishin and what we caught. I told him I wasn’t from around there and he gives me one of “secret spots” that he quote has never gone to and not caught at least one of redfish. So I was kinda inspired and decided to take him at his word and head out to the spot. We get there and sure enough 1st cast I catch a small red! Then another, my brother gets one, my dad farms one right at the boat. we went on to slay the lil sh!ts for a good 30mins b4 we decided to take our last dozen or so shrimp and try and find some bigger fish, but never did, still fun and I was stoked to catch my 1st Redfish!

I was itching to get out and find a shark in the gulf and told my uncle I wanted to try it out, so his next day off we headed out to Fort Morgan battlefield, and hit up the beach. There was ladyfish and needlefish everywhere so I quickly made bait on a spoon and chunked up a ladyfish and chucked it out on the long rod! After getting quite a few baits crab picked and short bit my baitrunner starts screaming! I get to it, set the hook and this thing proceeds to freight train me for easily 260yds real quick! I start Palmin the spool and slow it down a bit and it turns and I gain some line back. It keeps Goin parallel and I’m chasing it gaining line back when it goes off again nearly takin all the line I gained back off quick! I'm kinda trippin on the fight it’s super strong but don’t feel any head shake or tail slap on the line. I’m starting to draw a crowd of other fisherman and they all think it’s a bull red, but I kinda thought it felt like a big ass batray! One of the locals says, there ain’t no rays that big down here lol that’s gotta be a shark like a bull or a lil hammer or something, but sure as sh!t I get it up off the bottom and I see a huge flap on the surface and long stringy tail slash bout 20yds out and it's massive! That’s a big ass sting ray! My dad says, oh my god son that’s huge! I’m so in the zone I get it into about 2ft of water and it jus holds tight and sucks the bottom with all it’s weight. I’m whipped getting anxious and decide to hand my rod to my brother and get in to get her outta the knee deep hole. She hadn’t moved in what seemed like minutes and I jumped the gun, soon as I get both feet in she takes off again and the hook pulls as my bro looks at me like wtf jus happened! Not really sure exactly what happened, but I didn’t trust anyone else to land it since I was sure no one had handled anything that big b4 :/
I regained my composure and get another bait out asap and I was like holy sh!t there it was the one I've been waiting for the whole trip and I jus phucked myself. I grabbed a beer to wash the disgusting taste in my mouth from losing that beast. My uncle and dad try to tell me I’ll get another one, but I kinda knew fish like that come once in a lifetime for most, but I had high hopes I’d get at least a shot at a grinner. I get a lil zip on the line half way through my brew, and I look up and see my lines slack so I put my beer down to see what’s up, turns out the damn things running right at me. Then it drops it and I’m like seriously? Put the rod back down and flip the baitrunner back on, take a sip and it starts slowly clickin line off. I let it run a few more secs and swing, holy sh!t I’m on! I start cranking and it’s running right at me almost faster then I can keep up, then it turns and starts tail walkin and it’s a shark! Not huge but I’m stoked and jus wanna get the bitch in! Didn’t take long to get her on the shore but handling the toothy lil muscly basstard was interesting!!!

Finetoothed Shark

I was stoked to catch my 1st gulf shark! Soaked a few more baits and got a few more bites but none connected, my dad and bro were catchin ladyfish and small pompono when my dad hooks something with some shoulders on it! Thought it might have been a big trout or red but turned out to be a baby black tip on the cast master!

It was almost closing time so we headed to the parking lot after we let it go. Not bad for my 1st attempt at shark fishin the gulf! Well turns out I used up all my luck with that one cause I tried a few more times at another spot that was fishable after dark and only got picked up once and missed the hook :/ but I made the most of what time I had to fish, I fished everyday either fresh or salt and caught fish everyday! Helluva way to spend a vacation, good times with family, new fish under my belt, new beers I’d never get to try out here, some bomb some jus alright by ipa snob standards lol and awesome memories with family I don’t get to see very often. But now I’m back and my new shark rods done, and it’s time to get back on the west coast grinners!

Rastafar-gone *~~

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: Gulf Shores AL vacay
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 04:51:50 PM »
Looks like a hell of a fun trip.

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2017, 06:56:20 PM »
Sweet trip. That is a he'll of a drum. Especially on 15

Jim

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2017, 07:04:59 PM »
Absolutely awesome.................................
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2017, 08:15:55 AM »
Stoked for you Josh!! I wish I had as much fishing time as you.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2017, 08:33:41 AM »
Great read and trip there Josh! Congrats on a fine trip down there.
I wonder how close this write up was to the last one before the computer cut you out?
I love those big black drum.  So prehistoric looking and fun to catch!

Bravo sir!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

BackBayMan

• Leopard
  • Always lurking...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2017, 08:44:46 AM »
Great report Josh! Now that's what I call a vacation.
Anybody have an emergency beer?

j.rasta

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2017, 12:30:53 PM »
Thanks guys! Was a trip I'll definitely never forget. I want to go back in the spring next time when the weather's more bearable and get a shot at some serious reds and specks.

Great read and trip there Josh! Congrats on a fine trip down there.
I wonder how close this write up was to the last one before the computer cut you out?
I love those big black drum.  So prehistoric looking and fun to catch!

Bravo sir!

Hahaha I smoked some inspiration and drank a sculpin and tried to recreate the original to the beat of my ability, definitely won't write anything directly to the forum again that takes more than a few mins lol

Thanks for reading guys!

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
    • Ben Cantrell's fish species blog
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2017, 08:29:59 AM »
Holy cow, that's an awesome report.  The sharks are cool obviously, but that drum is super gnarly.